Eriogonum lobbii

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

McDonough wrote:

I have grown E. lobbii, where they were planted in ceramic pots and grown outside, lasting for 2-3 years, and actually flowered (modestly) with in a sort of burnished orange color.  That was perhaps 10 years ago.

You have sunnier and warmer summers than I have!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

McGregorUS
McGregorUS's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2009-12-18

Well Trond, in the summer you get sun for many more hours so perhaps that will help. I do not know why they don't flower, number of hours of light, temperature ...... or what

Malcolm McGregor
Global Moderator/NARGS Editor
East Yorkshire, UK

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

McGregor wrote:

Well Trond, in the summer you get sun for many more hours so perhaps that will help. I do not know why they don't flower, number of hours of light, temperature ...... or what

I'll try again ...and again...and again if necessary!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

HughGmail
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-07-08

Hoy wrote:

McGregor wrote:

Well Trond, in the summer you get sun for many more hours so perhaps that will help. I do not know why they don't flower, number of hours of light, temperature ...... or what

I'll try again ...and again...and again if necessary!

Perhaps experience from someone more or less in your part of the world might help.  If I recall a recent conversation correctly, Peter Korn from Eskilsby, Sweden grows various Eriogonum successfully (which is to say, to flower).  His website URL is http://www.peterkornstradgard.se.  Go to his photo gallery to see a few in bloom.  I find Peter very forthcoming with information.

Hugh Mac Millan
Former NARGS Web Master, Moderator
Eriogonum enthusiast
Zone 5+- - Front Range, Colorado (Denver area)

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Hugh wrote:

Hoy wrote:

I'll try again ...and again...and again if necessary!

Perhaps experience from someone more or less in your part of the world might help.  If I recall a recent conversation correctly, Peter Korn from Eskilsby, Sweden grows various Eriogonum successfully (which is to say, to flower).  His website URL is http://www.peterkornstradgard.se.  Go to his photo gallery to see a few in bloom.  I find Peter very forthcoming with information.

Thanks, Hugh. I did not know this site (No problem reading Swedish either). Seems that Peter has a small nursery too. Maybe he has some Erigeron to sell. The climate where he gardens is similar to where I have my summerhouse. (And that's where I plan to plant them.)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

McGregorUS
McGregorUS's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2009-12-18

Peter has a wonderful nursery and a great garden with vast sandbeds - in Landvetter, some 20-30 km east of Gothenburg - and he grows the most amazing plants in the open. I want to get him to write for us sometime. Anyone visiting souther Swede should get to visit - even more impressive than the Botanic Garden !

Malcolm McGregor
Global Moderator/NARGS Editor
East Yorkshire, UK

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

McGregor wrote:

Peter has a wonderful nursery and a great garden with vast sandbeds - in Landvetter, some 20-30 km east of Gothenburg - and he grows the most amazing plants in the open. I want to get him to write for us sometime. Anyone visiting souther Swede should get to visit - even more impressive than the Botanic Garden !

It is only 600km (373 miles) and about 9 hours drive from here! (Do you think Norway is a small country? Well, the roads are, anyway.) Still I'll try to go there some time.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

McGregorUS
McGregorUS's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2009-12-18

He has a great open day at the beginning of his season with (for the past two years) an international speaker and food and so on and the whole place is great. That's the one to look for - this year it was called Nerd's Saturday and it was in April. Well worth going to if you can.

Malcolm McGregor
Global Moderator/NARGS Editor
East Yorkshire, UK

IMYoung
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-31

McGregor wrote:

He has a great open day at the beginning of his season with (for the past two years) an international speaker and food and so on and the whole place is great. That's the one to look for - this year it was called Nerd's Saturday and it was in April. Well worth going to if you can.

Peter held another of his Speaker days this autumn.... Ian was one of the Speakers.... but I think that the event is so popular that Peter only needed "word of mouth" to get more than enough people attending.... so, if anyone would like to find out or attend a future event there I suggest that you make email contact with Peter and ask to be kept informed, in case wider announcements are not made...... 8)

Maggi

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Weiser
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-04

Just thought I'd show some updated photos of the color variation found in the Eriogonum lobbii population found on Slide Mountain, Washoe County, NV.

From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and the Eastern
Escarpment of the Sierra Nevada Range
Located in Reno/Sparks,NV  zone 6-7
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
John P Weiser

Pages

Log in or register to post comments