Narcissus 2012

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fermi
Fermi's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-03-03
Narcissus 2012

I think there've been daffodil pics in the "spring bulbs" threads already but this is definitely NOT a spring bulb - Narcissus viridiflorus, the autumn flowering, green (jonquil) daffodil! It's hardy for us and grows best in an unwatered part of the rock garden.
cheers
fermi

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

It is astrange one! I have considered trying it but believe it needs drier climate.
Does it have scent, Fermi?

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Fermi
Fermi's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-03-03

Hoy wrote:

It is a strange one! I have considered trying it but believe it needs drier climate.
Does it have scent, Fermi?

It has a scent similar to some jonquills or tazettas, fairly strong but not unpleasant.
The other autumn flowerer I have is Narcissus serotinus but I believe it's now called N. obsoletus!
cheers
fermi

Fermi de Sousa,
Central Victoria, Australia
Min: -7C, Max: +40C

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

I have seen the threads on SRGC about autumn blooming Narcissus; they're so different, rather strange looking things, that I'm amazed that these haven't been broken off to become a separate genus.  I like the "weird and wonderful" and I'm intrigued by them.  I'm not sure why, but when I see these in bloom, I'm reminded of Tulbaghia, another genus with unlikely looking plants.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

RickR
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-09-21

Narcissus viridiflorus is very cool  8).  If I could grow it here, I'd seek it out.

Your plants are really superb, Fermi!  :o

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Tony Willis
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-01

two forms of Narcissus alpestris. The white one is the usual one and the yellow is one I found amongst hundreds of white ones.It  is slowly increasing and is now three bulbs after eight years.

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

They're lovely, Tony. Do they have a scent which go with them too?

I have never tried this species either, how hardy is it outside? I am always looking for plants which are deer resistant and all daffodils seem to be!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Tony Willis
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-01

Hoy wrote:

They're lovely, Tony. Do they have a scent which go with them too?

I have never tried this species either, how hardy is it outside? I am always looking for plants which are deer resistant and all daffodils seem to be!

Trond

It is an alpine plant in the Pyrenees and so will be worth trying. I do not grow it outside because my problem is not cold but wet.

bulborum
bulborum's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-01

Many daffodils can handle a lot of moisture
not sure for this one
but I found N. pallidiflorus on a slope
in a few cm running water

Roland

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518187888211511
Normal Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C      10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means: Roland and Gemma de Boer

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Tony wrote:

Hoy wrote:

They're lovely, Tony. Do they have a scent which go with them too?

I have never tried this species either, how hardy is it outside? I am always looking for plants which are deer resistant and all daffodils seem to be!

Trond

It is an alpine plant in the Pyrenees and so will be worth trying. I do not grow it outside because my problem is not cold but wet.

Thanks Tony. Here at my summerhouse it is much drier climate than at home so it is worth trying!

bulborum wrote:

Many daffodils can handle a lot of moisture
not sure for this one
but I found N. pallidiflorus on a slope
in a few cm running water

Roland

Roland, I remember from a trip to Andorra in May several years ago that I saw huge swathes of daffodils (both white and yellow) growing in very wet marsh like fields along  the rivers. Don't know the species though. I also found daffodils (very small ones) in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco growing in wet soil where the snow was melting nearby.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

RickR
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-09-21

Narcissus alpestris is very interesting, with its long "snout" and "dog ears".  The yellow is very nice, too, but especially because it seems to have more undulation on the sepals.  Very attractive!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Pages

Log in or register to post comments