Polygonatum 2012

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Afloden
Title: Guest

To all who have an interest,

I have built up a small website that gives an overview of the genera Disporopsis, Heteropolygonatum, and Polygonatum. There are some images, maps, discussion, taxonomy, etc. There are numerous links embedded throughout. There will be frequent updates as things change.https://sites.google.com/site/polygonatae/

I request that if anyone has collections of nearly any species with provenance of any of the above genera I am willing to buy or trade (Polygonatum or other items). Thanks to all who have sent material thus far.

Aaron Floden University of Tennessee

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Awesome!  Thanks Aaron, you're certainly off to a great start with those pages.  Have only had a brief look around so far, will peruse it in greater detail over the weekend.  Who knew that such treasures as the tiny Disporopsis jinfushanensis existed, you've got me hooked on these wonderful plants.

The site is really well organized and cleanly presented, congratulations!

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Hi Aaron, seems it is quite a while since I visited this thread! Thank you for your suggestions. The only Polygonatum I can provide with a known provenance is P. verticillatum. But surely you have lots of it?

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Afloden

Mark,

Thanks. Jinfushanensis is a superb looking little plant. I don't have it yet, but I did get a leaf from that population and have the DNA. I got a chromosome count off of the acuminatifolium from you to. It is as I expected. I'll be squashing Reineckea root tips tomorrow.

Hoy, I do have several verticillatum from Europe. It is the Caucasus and eastwards material I want more of, especially NW India, Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan.....

copperbeech

I remember seeing "Double Stuff" Polygonatum last season (on-line) (I think it is a Terra Nova introduction). In any event I never saw it in a "mortar and bricks" nursery here in Canada and I am wondering if this plant really exists ;). Is there really much to distinguish it from other variegated Solomon's Seal?

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

A local nurseryman, Leo Blanchette (Carlisle. MA) grows a great number of Polygonatum, including the many named forms of odoratum.  One that he selected as a nursery seedling, is named P. odoratum 'Carlisle'. In my opinion it is the best form out there, not only for the beautiful and ample variegation, but for its low stature (14-16").  For those who are fans of variegated Polygonatum, rate 'Carlisle' as good as, if not better than 'Double Stuff'.  Take a look at many desirable and unique Polygonatum odoratum forms at Plant Delights Nursery, including 'Double Stuff'.  This cultivar was only introduced commercially in 2011, thus probably still hard to come by.

Polygonatum at Plant Delights Nursery:http://www.plantdelights.com/Polygonatum/products/299/

P. odoratum 'Carlisle' bed at Joe Pye Weed's Garden & nursery, run by breeders of extraordinary Siberian Iris, Marty Schafer, and Jan Sacks, nearby here in Massachusetts, http://www.jpwflowers.com/

P. odoratum 'Carlisle' in my garden 2011, has not spread yet.

P. odoratum 'Carlisle', autumn color:

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

copperbeech
McDonough wrote:

A local nurseryman, Leo Blanchette (Carlisle. MA) grows a great number of Polygonatum,

I notice that Blanchette Gardens is closing this season.

McDonough wrote:

One that he selected as a nursery seedling, is named P. odoratum 'Carlisle'. In my opinion it is the best form out there,

Very nice pics. Thank you. I would imagine that this variety might never see the light of day outside of the US?

McDonough wrote:

Take a look at many desirable and unique Polygonatum odoratum forms at Plant Delights Nursery, including 'Double Stuff'.  This cultivar was only introduced commercially in 2011, thus probably still hard to come by.

I have yet to see it in Ontario Canada :(.

copperbeech
McDonough wrote:

P. odoratum 'Carlisle', autumn color:

Thanks for including that picture...very nice.

Hoy
Hoy's picture

I am no fan of variegated plants in general but that 'Carlisle' looks very handsome though!

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Lis, I don't grow it in the garden as it is a native plant here (however I am planning to move it into the garden). It is abundant at my summerhouse where it seems to prefere growing in crevices in the rocks where it is abundant water in the spring but drier later i the summer. When some of the plants have their roots deep in the crevice they make huge mats on very shallow soil, like this:

Pages