Image of the day - 2014

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lori S.
Title: Moderator

That is amazing!  What unusual colours.

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

RickR

I kept looking at it, wondering if it was really real!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Steve Newall
Steve Newall's picture
Title: Member

I know the feeling Rick . It looks like there's quite a bit of flowering to go yet and I will do some follow up pictures . I also hope to gets lots of seed

Balclutha , New Zealand

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Amazing, Steve!

I have been fascinated by Puya ever since I  saw some in South America many years ago!

I have tried to grow them from seed and succeeded in germinating them but the tiny seedlings have disappeared during the summer. I have another batch of seedlings now and will wait till the plants get bigger before trying some outside.

Steve, does your plant experience frost?

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Steve Newall
Steve Newall's picture

I discovered over the years that the climate at our Dunedin house was a little unusual Hoy . At 230m our garden was high enough to get some snow during the winter but as it is situated on the side of a hill the frosts were not as severe as those further down the hill in the valley . Also a lot of wind movement and 2-3 times as much rainfall as the city centre only 5km away .

So some light frosts and brief snow cover in the winter . I hope to get lots of seed to try growing it here in Balclutha where the winters are colder . I have other Puya spp in pots here in Balclutha and they cope with the frosts here . The air temperature doesn't go below -10C here

Balclutha , New Zealand

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Gives me hope for growing Puya here also. Usually the temperature never goes below -8C, and last winter the coldest night was -4.5.

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Tim Ingram

That Puya is really striking Steve - our winters are just too cold and wet for them to grow outside (at least a couple that I've tried) and they are real pains to keep potting on but well worth it when they flower like this. I've always wanted a cold Mediterranean glasshouse to grow these sorts of plants, such as Hectia argentea at Kew (This plant is over 150 years old!). At the Malahide Garden near Dublin they grow puyas in a small glasshouse with all the side glass removed (along with bomareas, an interesting mix).

A very mild winter again so far here - early snowdrops flowering (Galanthus elwesii 'Hiemalis Group').

Dr. Timothy John Ingram Faversham, Kent, UK I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.  

Lori S.

Alpine ridge, mid-July, Kananaskis Country, Alberta:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

Rhodiola integrifolia, Kananaskis Country, Alberta:

Hoy
Hoy's picture

I like that one, Lori, but it doesn't grow like that here at our cabin! I lack all those pretty rocks also. . . .

Pages