Image of the day - 2014

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

[quote=Lori S.]

Wonder why that would be.  Something to do with all that rain?   Would you have both Myosotis asiatica and M. alpestris there, Trond?

. . . .

[/quote]

None of these is native but M alpestris is naturalized from gardens and M asiatica seems to be synonymous with sylvatica and alpestris which both grow here so I think they're pretty similar!

Although it is rainy here at the coast it is not in the inland. I think it is the level of light that is most essential to the development of the plants. You are a bit higher up and the insolation is greater therefore you get more buds and less leaves!

Can't help you with the pea though but the picture is alluring!

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Rainy but mild. That's the weather this fall. Today is no exception. 10C and a slow drizzle. A bit difficult to take pictures but I try. Not many plants in flower though but this Agapanthus praecox ssp minimus

in a pot is an exception. It has stayed in flower for months in a small pot. I haven't dared to plant it out in the ground. Maybe I should try. Seems we are in a period with mild winters. The coldest I measured last winter was -4C for one night. The only wintry period lasted for 2 weeks with sub zero temps at night (-2 - -3C).

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

My favourite tarn... and since this not a scenery forum, but an alpine plant forum, I guess I ought to show one... Erigeron humilis, same area (with my second favourite tarn in the distance):

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Tim Ingram

Lori - those are two super photos! We have been spending much of the year working on the garden and nursery so haven't come onto the Forum for a while but it's great to see pictures of plants in the wild like this. Our local woods at Blean (near Canterbury) have good autumn colours at the moment but I neglected to take the camera - so this is picture of Cornus controversa 'Variegata' and Acer griseum in the garden here just now.

Dr. Timothy John Ingram Faversham, Kent, UK I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.  

bessarmstrong
Title: Guest

Awesome. Thanks for sharing .

Lori S.

Silene acaulis, Banff N.P., mid-August:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

Tonestus lyallii, Banff National Park,  Alberta, August 27th:

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Lori, I like rocks and plants!

Here is one from my garden taken between the showers the other day. Selfsown in the steps, Helleborus foetidus.

Steve Newall
Steve Newall's picture

Flowering yesterday in our old garden in Dunedin - I couldn't take them with me - Puya alpestris

Balclutha , New Zealand

Cockcroft

Wow!  I can see why its common name is "Sapphire Tower".  What a striking plant.

Claire Cockcroft Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Pages