HIke #2 - eastern slope Rockies, July 25/11

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Lori, a wonderful series, great plants and excellent photographs and mountain scenes.  Even if I've been responding on the forum so seldom these days, please know that I appreciate such educational and inspiring posts, and I do read through them and often revisit. You provide surrogate wildflower botanizing experiences for those of us perpetually spinning in an unreasonable rat-race of work life.

What gorgeous clumps of Penstemon ellipticus!

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Thanks, Mark!Last update of this area (unless we do a fall larch hike?)... August 22/11.

Where it starts getting interesting... it's all upwards from here!  (Good heavens, it seems I always take a picture of this spot!  And worse yet, post every single one of them!  :rolleyes:)

The meadows in the hanging valleys that flank the major deeper valley are finally in bloom at this late date, with countless Arnica lonchophylla and others:    

Salix, outlining in a joint in the limestone:

Erigeron humilis, I think (I should check that), and Silene acaulis in new, fresh bloom:  

Veronica wormskjoldii:  

Lots of Hedysarum sulphurascens in bloom too:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Lori wrote:

Thanks, Mark!Last update of this area (unless we do a fall larch hike?)... August 22/11.

Where it starts getting interesting... it's all upwards from here!  (Good heavens, it seems I always take a picture of this spot!  And worse yet, post every single one of them!  :rolleyes:) With my short memory they all look new to me ;)

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Pages