Groundhugging shrubs.

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15
Groundhugging shrubs.

On dry ground Betula nana forms low, creeping plants. Here with a lichen.

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Arctostaphylos/Arctous alpinus also grows close to the ground. Here with Empetrum nigrum. The Empetrum berries (krekebær) are very good if you are thirsty.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Here is the alpine azalea Loiseleuria procumbens with fruit.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Not for the rock garden: Betula pubescens ssp. czerepanovii. Some trees are dead. The leaves eaten by birch moth.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-09-25

Your three creepers also grow here, but Betula nana is replaced by B. pumila...I have no idea how to tell them apart.  We grow B. pumila in our BG, but the plants have become more upright over the years, although still under 3 feet in height.  The fall colour is bright red, quite unusual for a birch where yellow is more standard.

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Lori S.
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-10-27

A tiny Betula nana 'Ingwersen's Form' (ex. Norway) in a dry trough... if only I could grow some beautiful lichen to make it more at home...

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Skulski wrote:

A tiny Betula nana 'Ingwersen's Form' (ex. Norway) in a dry trough... if only I could grow some beautiful lichen to make it more at home...

Have you ever tried to grow lichens? Many spread by fragmentation, you can take pieces and just put them where you want them.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-09-25

I've never tried lichens but mosses grow VERY well in my troughs!

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03

Hoy wrote:

Arctostaphylos/Arctous alpinus also grows close to the ground. Here with Empetrum nigrum. The Empetrum berries (krekebær) are very good if you are thirsty.

Do these species grow near you? Or are they at higher elevations? Some of these I see in the mountains, not here, but not sure at what elevation they start, but also there is no dry or rocky or sandy soil close by, once you get to the edge of the foothills biome, things are quite different-sandy places, but also more precipitation....
We have one of the small birches, I haven't figured them out yet, with small round leaves, but it grows to at least a couple of metres tall here, in wet places... could no doubt be pruned to modest size, but not flat...

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

cohan wrote:

Hoy wrote:

Arctostaphylos/Arctous alpinus also grows close to the ground. Here with Empetrum nigrum. The Empetrum berries (krekebær) are very good if you are thirsty.

Do these species grow near you? Or are they at higher elevations? Some of these I see in the mountains, not here, but not sure at what elevation they start, but also there is no dry or rocky or sandy soil close by, once you get to the edge of the foothills biome, things are quite different-sandy places, but also more precipitation....
We have one of the small birches, I haven't figured them out yet, with small round leaves, but it grows to at least a couple of metres tall here, in wet places... could no doubt be pruned to modest size, but not flat...

My photos show plants from the interior high altitude (that is 1100-1200m) biome above treeline, relatively dry moraine and rocky outcroppings. All those shrubs grow here too but only as relicts on rocky outcroppings near sea levels. Some places here forests never established due to grazing and fire-agriculture since early ages. (Which is in rapid change now.)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Anne Spiegel
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-26

Todd wrote:

I've never tried lichens but mosses grow VERY well in my troughs!

And  they grow very well on tufa, Todd - even in this dry, sunny garden.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments