For many people books have not been entirely replaced by the internet or e-books. Most Rock Gardening books aren't best sellers and are not available for the Kindle. The hands-on information in many gardening books, both new and old, is invaluable. In many older books there is the additional pleasure of reading the wonderful descriptive prose which is out of favor on the internet. Here are some Recommended books on Rock Gardening, arranged by Author.
Monographs and other group-specific reference books arranged by Genus
Books on specific locations and habitats, mainly about plants in the wild
- Alpine Garden Society
- Anderson, E.B. (Edward Bertram)
- Bartholomei, Robert, and Halpin, Anne
- Deno, Norman
- Farrer, Reginald
- Fingerut, Joyce, and Murfitt, Rex
- Foster, H. Lincoln
- Good, John E.G., and Millard, David
- Griffith, Anna N.
- Heath, Royton E.
- Halpin, Anne, and Bartholomei, Robert
- Ingwersen, Will
- Klaber, Doretta
- Kolaga, Walter A.
- McGary, Jane
- Millard, David, and Good, John E.G.
- Mineo, Baldassare
- Murfitt, Rex
- North American Rock Garden Society
- Rolfe, Robert
- Schacht, Wilhelm
Alpine Garden Society
- Encyclopedia of Alpines, two volumes, Kenneth Beckett (editor) & Christopher Grey-Wilson (managing editor), Alpine Garden Society, Publications Limited, Pershore England, 1994 (out of print but copies may be available from Amazon; Vol. One: A-K ISBN 0-900048-61-1; Vol. Two: L-Z ISBN; Complete Work: ISBN0-900048-63-8).
Anderson, E.B. (Edward Bertram)
- Rock Gardens, E.B. (Edward Bertram) Anderson, prepared in conjunction with the Royal Horticultural Society, Harmondsworth, UK and Penguin Books, 1959 p.
- Dwarf Bulbs for the Rock Garden, E.B. (Edward Bertram) Anderson, Thomas Nelson and Sons, London, England, 1959.
Bartholomei, Robert, and Halpin, Anne
Fingerut, Joyce, and Murfitt, Rex
- Cuttings from a Rock Garden: Plant Portraits and Other Essays, H. Lincoln Foster, Laura L. Foster, Norman Singer (editor), Atlantic Monthly Press, New York, 1990, ISBN 0-87113-376-8.
- Rock Gardening: A Guide to Growing Alpines and Other Wildflowers in the American Garden, H. Lincoln Foster, with illustrations by his wife Laura Louise (Timmy) Foster. Published in several editions, the first in 1968 and the last by Timber Press, Portland, Oregon 1982.
Good, John E.G., and Millard, David
Griffith, Anna N.
Heath, Royton E.
Halpin, Anne, and Bartholomei, Robert
- Ingwersen's Manual of Alpine Plants, Will Ingwersen, VMH, Cassell Publisher Limited, London, 1995 and earlier editions.
- Alpines, Will Ingwersen, published by John Murray Publishers Ltd., London, 1991 and Timber Press, Portland, Oregon, 1991, ISBN 0-88192-193-9.
Kolaga, Walter A.
- Rock Garden Design and Construction, edited by Jane McGary, available now from NARGS Volunteer Book Service (download PDF order form here); published by Timber Press, Portland Oregon, 2003.
Millard, David, and Good, John E.G.
- Creating and Planting Alpine Gardens: How To Build Small Rock Gardens and Work With Alpine Plants, Rex Murfitt, published by B.B. Mackey Books, Wayne PA, 2005, ISBN1-893443-07-8.
- Creating and Planting Garden Troughs, Rex Murfitt and Joyce Fingerut, B.B. Mackey Books, Wayne PA, 1999, ISBN 1-893443-0-0.
- Rock Gardens, Wilhelm Schacht, English edition with an introduction by Jim Archibald, Universe Books, New York, 1987, and Alphabooks, Sherborne, Dorset, England, 1981 (earlier German editions published by Eugen Ulmer GmbH & Co. Stuttgart, 1953, 1978 & 1981).