What do you see on your garden walks 2014?

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
tropicalgirl251...
Title: Member

HI Lori

thanks.

Krish

Saskatoon,SK,Canada
Zone 3a
one of the sunniest cities in Canada.
Temperature range +30C to -38C.
average annual precipitation 347.2mm.

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Lovely Erythronium, Krish.  Very different leaf colouration from Erythronium dens-canis (the only one I grow) - no sign of buds on mine yet, but I was pleased to find one of the seedlings that I noted a couple of years ago, some twenty feet or so away from the original plant, still present.

A bit of a damper on things here...

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Looks cold, Lori.

But your plants survive, I hope!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Some plants from yesterdays walk.

Corydalis buschii and an unnamed blue one.   A branch of Clematis alpina is flowering in the dense shade under the yew.

Geranium tuberosum and a Euphorbia.    Pieris 'Forest Flame'.                               Ranunculis amplexicaulis

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Many rhododendrons are now in flower. Here are some of the smaller ones:

Seedlings. The first one is from seed from the botanical garden in Oslo the second one is from Bergen.

Two species but I have forgotten the names and didn't bother to try and find them!

Trond

Lori S.

Wow, your garden is looking fantastic, Trond!  Here from the opposite end of the gardening spectrum, I'm glad to report that our snow has melted... ;-)

At this time of year, such lushness can only exist in a greenhouse here.  In DH"s greenhouse, Nymphaea 'Colorado' and 'Attraction' have their first blooms; the tender roses have beautiful fresh foliage - e.g. Rosa 'Sheila's Perfume': 

Outdoors, here is Pulmonaria altaica and a cute seedling of Cortusa matthioli; Anemone blanda; Paeonia anomala:

More Pulsatilla patens;  Jeffersonia dubia; Primula elatior ssp. meyeri; Primula marginata 'Sheila Denby':

Lori

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Thanks Lori!

It may look better than it is, I do not show you the weeds! The lushness is also great for snails and slugs. I hunt and kill 50-100 almost every eveningangry

Your garden looks very interesting and special too!

Is the rose 'Sheila's Perfume' and the Primula 'Sheila Denby' named for the same person?

Trond

Lori S.

Hoy wrote:

Is the rose 'Sheila's Perfume' and the Primula 'Sheila Denby' named for the same person?

I doubt it but it's not something I would know about!

Jeffersonia dubia:

Lori

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Lori S. wrote:

Hoy wrote:

I doubt it but it's not something I would know about!

Jeffersonia dubia:

Well, I didn't expect an answer either . . . .

Nice Jeffersonia! I am still waiting for mine to achieve any greatness.

Trond

Cockcroft

I never expected to see Primula aureata in my garden, but this little seedling appeared out of nowhere with its maiden bloom.  I can't find any record that I ordered the seeds.

Primula aureata

I've grown a lot of nomocharis from seed over the years, but never had a white one before.  Another maiden bloom.

Nomocharis ? farreri

This candelabra hybrid has Primula japonica as one parent.  Perhaps P. cockburniana added some farina to the mix?

Primula japonica hybrid

Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Pages