It is my own seedling...

Now that makes it REALLY special!  :o :o ;D

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Hoy wrote:

Cohan, I have a spare toboggan (we call it akebrett) which my daughters used when they played in the snow ;)

Mine is more basic ;) I was looking at bigger 'sleds' used for pulling calves in winter (when they are born outdoors in cold weather and need to be moved) but they are wider- good for getting more wood on them, but not good for squeezing between trees, so I'm glad I got the narrow one...

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

A few things have melted out of the snow...  Needless to say, those that are evergreen are much more interesting than those that are not!

Gentiana verna; Draba acaulis; Dianthus scardicus:

Gray on gray... clockwise from lower left, Achillea umbellata, Artemisia caucasica, ??, and for some green, Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Pearl Bells'

Cotula hispida; Armeria juniperifolia and blackened stems of Satureja montana illyrica (the bases will still be alive); clockwise from lower left, Townsendia parryi, Erigeron sp., Campanula topaliana:

Eritrichium howardii - alive or dead? - with Salvia pachyphylla in the background; my wizened little specimen of Petrophyton caespitosum that survived transplanting and somehow keeps hanging on without growing or blooming; Achillea holosericea:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

This Thuja occidentalis 'Teddy' in the back yard tufa garden looks okay (although there's more winter yet to come).  The other one planted in a trough out front looks awful - yellow and burnt.

Trachelium rumelianum;  Bukiniczia cabulica:

Cottony Pyrethrum leontopodium with Sideritis phlomoides on the left and the spiky skeleton of Lactuca intricata on top - wonder if it's still alive?

Silene caryophylloides ssp. echinus on the left and Saxifraga sp. on the right; I'm really looking forward to seeing the Silene this year; seeds were started in 2011; collected by Pavelka at 2100m, Darvaz Dag, Turkey (description:  "very dense spined cushions, solitary pale to dark pink flws, 5-15cm, screes, stoney places. 2008 seed").  I have not been able to find any photos of it.  Correction:  If I spell it correctly (as opposed to the spelling in the seed list), I can find a couple of photos, though mainly herbarium specimens.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Toole
Toole's picture

Some really nice stuff there Lori ---Hope they have all survived and come away.

Here's a bit of colour here at the moment---Oenothera ,(fruticosa subsp. glauca ??), 'blood yellow' .Not a particulary large sized bloom however i love the colour combination when you get up close.

Thankfully i planted it in a double wash tub where i can keep a check on it's numerous seedlings  :-\ ....

Cheers Dave

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

IMYoung
Title: Member

Great colour combination on that Oenethera,T00lie - might it be O. falklandica?

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Lori, I am more optimistic for your plants than for mine :-\

Dave, a special Oenothera, nice colours!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Tim Ingram

I would put money on the Eritrichium still being fine Lori - it somehow looks OK even though nary a sign of green. I would love to grow this again, the only Eritrichium I ever grew to flower and such great foliage. I had no idea how variable it is until seeing pictures on this Forum. The Salvia pachyphylla looks exactly the same as one I have on a raised bed, viz: not successful over winter! But I am surprised to see Pyrethrum leontopodium looking so good. It is very interesting to watch plants like this over the winter and see what tolerance they do have in the garden. Will be exciting to see everything growing away in the spring.

Dr. Timothy John Ingram
Faversham, Kent, UK
I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.

cohan
cohan's picture

Exciting to see stuff exposed, Lori- I'm a way from that yet- my dryland beds might be out sooner, but they aren't densely planted yet, so wont be much to see..
That Pyrethrum is amazing- I forget, have you seen flowers yet? I have seed for one of the droopy (ray) flowered species that I really like, but I don't think it has exciting foliage..

Just looked at the weather forecast for the week-- 5-10cm snow tonight then later in the week daytime highs of 3-9C, though still below freezing overnight, of course, from -4 to -14C So some of those beds might be bare sooner, not the ones in front of the house or in the wetter end of the yard, yet- still deeply buried...

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Mark McD

Lori, I grew Silene caryophylloides ssp. echinus back in late 1970s and early 1980s, grown from MacPhail and Watson seed collecting expedition to Turkey.  It was a very good plant, quite distinctive and flowered well.  All the plants I grew from that expedition are long since memories, although a few plant species made it into general horticulture, like Veronica liwanensis.

Dave, I don't think your colorful Oenothera is O. fruticosa or a variety of it.  Was intrigued to see Maggi's suggestion of E. falklandica; never heard of it, and could only find one photo of it (use the link below, scroll down to find it), showing similarly colored blooms. Searching on The Plant List, IPNI.ORG, and Tropicos, indicate that Oenothera "falklandica" is not a validly published name, possibly a horticultural invention, there are a good number of such non-existant species out in horticulture-land.  Now I'm interested in finding out what this plant really is!
http://www.buytech.biz/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OENOTHERA_1219.html

...and the same photo in another link, but you can compare with a few photos of O. fruticosa and vars.
http://www.cgf.net/plants.aspx?genus=OENOTHERA

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Pages