What do you see on your garden walks? 2012

999 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

RickR wrote:

Eight Candles - Sanguinaria canadensis
    If it looks like an old photograph, it is!  Scanned from 1980.

Rick, same alluring attitude as 32 years ago!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Doreen

Rick, it just looks like you've intentionally done an artistic soft-focus sepia portrait! Love the clasping leaves.

Doreen Mear
Middle of South Island, New Zealand, in the rain shadow of the Southern Alps.
Continental climate, rare snow cover,
670 mm rain p.a.

RickR
Title: Moderator

We've had a couple dreary winter foggy days in this snowless winter, and the frost is beginning to build.  Leaving some of the perennials intact through the winter has proven to a wise decision this year.

Chasmanthium latifolium (Northern Sea Oats) has much of its seedheads still intact.

Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa' and Eryngium amethystinum (Amethyst Sea Holly)

Symphiotrichium(Aster) sericeum (Silky Aster) with Melica ciliata (Silky Spike Melic) and Silky Aster close up

Fargesia rufa (Rufa Bamboo) and a Senna sp.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

RickR

Needles of Pinus pondersosa (Ponderosa Pine) and Pinus strobus 'Wintergold' (Wintergold White Pine)

Our wild Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

Picea asperata (Chinese Dragon Spruce)

Thujopsis dolbrata
var. hondai (Hiba Arborvitae)

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Lots of great winter texture and colour, Rick! We have had very little frost this winter compared to the last few- not an especially photogenic winter- the last few I took a lot more photos..

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Lori S.

Very nice, Rick!  Does the foliage on the bamboo survive the winter?

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

RickR

Lori wrote:

Very nice, Rick!  Does the foliage on the bamboo survive the winter?

It survives the winter fine.  It's the early spring that does them in.  I usually remove about half of the foliage before serious growth commences.  Since we are having such a mild winter, maybe the ground will thaw fast enough to not have this problem this season.  (It has only dipped below zero (-18C) for three nights this season!).

Lori S.

Well, I'm amazed enough that the bamboo survives the winter, let alone the above-ground parts!  Must try that one someday, if I come across it.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

RickR

There was no cultivar name attached when I bought Fargesia rufa in Madison, WI as a large plant, bulging the #5 pot (about 4 gal. size).  I divided it into three parts, two of them kept whole, and the third further divided.  The two did great.  Any division less than six culms, died.  My advice: don't divide any less than ten culms.

Fargesia rufa seems to do far better than F. nitida for me.  I had F. nitida for 5-6 years, and it poked along, never getting bigger or smaller.  Then the year when all the F. nitidas in the world bloomed (mine tried to, too), it didn't last through the following winter.

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Nice pics, Rick! Not much to picture here now except some colourful birds at the feeders.

I still get seedlings popping up from that F. nitida bloom! Seems to be seeds in the soil still where I had those shrubs. The first seedlings that germinated are still not as big as their parents were at blooming time but are cathing up fast.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Pages