What do you see on your garden walks? 2012

999 posts / 0 new
Last post
AmyO
AmyO's picture
Title: Member

Doreen your photos are so wonderful to see on this cold and slightly snowy day! I woke up to just a dusting and we need so much more on the ground here!!
You're right about the Sanguinaria...I wacked up a patch at work last fall and potted the pieces for sale this spring! So easy!
Here is a photo of a patch of the single flowered form at the end of my road last spring! It's huge and interspersed with Trillium erectum although you can't see them.  :P

Amy Olmsted
Hubbardton, VT, Zone 4

Booker
Booker's picture

Super images everyone ... Happy New Year Doreen.

Cliff Booker A.K.A. Ranunculus
On the moors in Lancashire, U.K.
Usually wet, often windy, sometimes cold ... and that's just me!

RickR
Title: Moderator

Wonderful images of excellently grown plants, Doreen!

The way Amy shows wild Sanguinaria canadensis growing is the same way they colonize here in Minnesota.  Larger single clonal clumping is not rare, but one to three noses per plant is the norm.  However, these same plants grown in a garden setting would likely have a great propensity to form large clumps.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Doreen, now I know what to aim for! My plants never grow like that :(

Amy, interesting to see how the bloodroot grows naturally. My second goal is to copy that in a patch in my woodland!

Does the bloodroot need another clone to set fertile seed?

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Great flowers, Doreen- the Ranunculus is lovely..

Amy- love the patch of Sanguinaria.. this is another one I'd love to establish here (its not native) I could give it a nice place to spread out like the patch you show .. haven't got any yet (on the list...lol)

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

AmyO
AmyO's picture

When these set the copious amounts of seed they always do....I'll let you know and perhaps we can do some swapping!  ;)
I don't know if you need two clones for pollination...but everywhere I have planted them they always set lots of seed. I have to get in early to clip off the seed pods, otherwise they would take over large areas of my garden...and I don't have the space to let them go. But I love the look so I keep them in check and let smallish patches spread.
Here's a close-up of the Bloodroot and of the Trillium erectum growing in the same area.....

Amy Olmsted
Hubbardton, VT, Zone 4

Sellars
Sellars's picture

Fantastic pictures Doreen.  Thanks for posting.

In general garden alpines do not look as good as wild plants.  However I have seen Ranunculus parnassifoliuis growing wild in the Pyrenees and it did not look as gorgeous as your garden plant.

David Sellars
From the Wet Coast of British Columbia, Canada

Feature your favourite hikes at:
www.mountainflora.ca
MountainFlora videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MountainFlora

Doreen

Glad to have brightened up your wintry days up in the northern hemisphere! Thanks for all your kind comments.
Amy: lovely to see your pictures of the bloodroot growing wild. Glad I'm not the only one carving up my plants!
Did anyone see Hilary Birks' photo of a stunning ribbon of the single form growing in immaculate condition in her garden in Bergen, Norway, on the UK AGS on-line show that just ended in December? Well worth a look.
Trond: I had just one plant of the single form in my garden 3 or 4 years ago but lost  killed it. But just this spring I noticed three or four little seedlings had popped up where the parent had been, so it looks as if it's self-fertile, at least to some degree.
David: I agree with you about cultivated plants generally being poor imitations of the wild plant. Would love to see the ranunculus in the wild (especially the Nuria form) and if a few seeds might happen to drop into my pocket ...  ;)

Doreen Mear
Middle of South Island, New Zealand, in the rain shadow of the Southern Alps.
Continental climate, rare snow cover,
670 mm rain p.a.

Lori S.

Wow!  I'm just joining the chorus of admiration for your plants, Doreen!  It seems that growing in rock garden conditions really brings out the best for Ranunculus parnassifolius... I must remember to move some seedlings into similar conditions!!

How wonderful to have a woodland full of bloodroot and trillium, Amy!  It's lovely!

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

RickR

Eight Candles - Sanguinaria canadensis

If it looks like an old photograph, it is!  Scanned from 1980.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Pages