Weather 2012

138 posts / 0 new
Last post
Howey
Title: Guest

Lis - I truly can sympathize with your garden feelings..  we too have had really horrible drought and, even though I water very early daily, the water just seems to disappear down into the sandy soil and everything appears droopy before long.  However, there are a few survivors and here is one of them - pics aren't that great for which I apologize.  I think it is Campanula pyramidalis and it is growing out of the crack between my front steps and the sidewalk - 4 tall columns of pretty blue stars and more springing up under a magnolia which didn't do a lot this year.  So all is not lost.  Fran

Oh, Oh - forgot to resize the pics so will send them along separately.

Frances Howey
London Ontario Canada
Zone 5b

Howey

Here is Campanula pyramidalis  - I think.  Fran

Howey

And another shot.  Fran

cohan
cohan's picture

Trond, I should have said "I hope all of you who need rain, get some!" I don't imagine Lori is asking for any either- we haven't really had rain to the point of being a problem, and we have had some warm days between! I've started working on my third new planting area of the year, and its in the low end of the yard- that was pretty mucky yesterday, heading back out now...
I have started to have your problem, though- slugs! They were always around, but I rarely saw damage, but I just realised they were bothering more plants, including some in the rock garden- some of the damage was hidden for a while, I think, since it blended in with hail damage.. I had to put out some treats for them a couple of days ago, which I hope I have not been misled in thinking is not too toxic to anything but slugs?- some iron based pellets.. in future I'd rather just use DE in sensitive areas, but wanted to make a fast diffference so those plants can recover in the short time before cold weather starts...

Fran- glad you have at least some plants hanging in there!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Allison
Allison's picture

Just a quick update: we have had some wonderful and most welcome rain here the last couple of days, with more in the forecast. What a huge relief! There will still be crop problems and serious effects of the drought, but just getting some moisture has made everyone in my area feel much better! I hope others who need rain get it soon.

Gardening on a wooded rocky ridge in the Ottawa Valley, Canada. Cold winters (-30C) and hot, humid summers. Nuts about native plants, ferns, pottery, my family, and Border Collies.

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Well, here they have promised us the warmest weekend and hottest week this summer! (Hot, that is about 24C where I live ;D).

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Merlin

Idaho has been hot with many days over 100F this summer. It did rain this morning, something most welcome but only made it humid. i notice that the plants in the  garden are mostly unaffected by the heat, even such seemingly sensitive species as Eritrichium nanum are seemingly unstressed. i have also noticed that even a slight drop in temperature for a few days and plant growth goes in to overdrive. The grasshoppers have come out with the heat and have been grazing on many of the alpines but i have held off on extreme measures since it seems that the grazing stops shortly after the first or second offense. perhaps the plants respond with their own countermeasures.

Jim Hatchett, Eagle Idaho USA  Zone 5? 11" average annual precipitation

cohan
cohan's picture

We continue with the up and down from day to day and even day to night- Last night was something like 7C, tuesday forecast for 15C as a high, and 28C again by the weekend; chance of showers or rain forecast for 4 out of 7 days... out now again for some more garden building and/or planting...

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

cohan
cohan's picture

Coffee by the lake in Sylvan Lake Alberta, yesterday, while we waited for mom at the doctor... actually I only sat there long enough for the photo- yesterday was around -6C plus windchill, light snow over a couple of days and a little drifting.. Supposed to be above 0 by Monday, and 8 by Tues if they stick to that..

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Looks dramatic but cold there Cohan, I'm sure the coffee helped.  We've had three frosts here so far, to 29-30 F (-1 C), but daytime temperatures have been warm, up to 60 F (16 C).  Today it's gorgeous, 62 F sunny and with little wind.  I have two days "vacation" as I ended my previous job (a job I disliked very much) and on Monday I start a new (and hopefully better) job.  

But it coincides with the anniversary of the surprise pre-Halloween snowstorm of October 2011, where we got 14" of heavy snow with most trees still in full foliage, causing disastrous tree damage, and extensive power outages for up to a week; after 3 days of freezing in the house by candlelight, we finally stayed in a hotel for a couple more days until electricity was restored. And look what's predicted to hit us on the anniversary date, Hurricane Sandy!  Little ol' Massachusetts is just below the letter "N" in the phrase "Early Next Week" in the image below.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Pages