Trillium 2011

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Member

Thanks Rick

Still a number of others yet to open fully including the double white T.grandiflorums.

The plant in the left foreground is of a Erythronium seedling--revolutum i think .

The Erythronium in the box is E.citrinium .

For more Trillium viewing  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: here's a link to the recent Trillium weekend in NZ.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7750.0

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Steve Newall
Steve Newall's picture

Toole wrote:

In view of all the slipping and sliding in your jandals you'll be pleased to see i've just graveled the back paths.....

Thanks for that . Ever so embarrassing getting stuck ( or unexpectedly sitting ) whilst viewing a garden .  :)

Balclutha , New Zealand

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Dave, I wouldn't mind growing any of them in my garden ;D
I have planted some this fall and sown some seeds too hoping to get at least a couple of plants surviving :)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Toole
Toole's picture

Thanks Hoy .

T.grandiflorum clump followed by a close up.

Seed raised from T. grandiflorum roseum ,although showing dark stems, unfortunately blooms are white . :(

T.grandiflorum flore pleno earlier on showing the yellow center before this starts to fade as the bloom matures.

Close up.

A few more others ........

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

Toole
Toole's picture

Last lot.

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

RickR
Title: Moderator

The green veins on the petals of the last one is particularly nice.

Love the red stems, too.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Now I can't wait till spring to see whether some of my new trilliums survive! - and seeds germinate ;)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

AmyO
AmyO's picture

Really beautiful photos! I'm anxious for spring now too....I planted lots of Trillium this year from various sources and sowed loads of seed. I have definitly caught the bug! :D

Amy Olmsted
Hubbardton, VT, Zone 4

Toole
Toole's picture

Thanks Rick,Hoy and Amy

A year or so ago i moved a number of strong erectums , flexipes and sulcatums ,from around the garden and planted them into a bed together in the hope the pollinators would do their thing and I'd end up with some interesting colour combinations.Obviously it will be awhile before i see the results of that experiment.

However in the meantime i am pleasantly surprised each season when seedlings sown from various sources ,flower for the first time  --here's one i found today --nice purplish edging to the petal.

Cheers Dave
PS Rick --just noticed today the Podophyllum you commented on earlier is forming flowers  ;D

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

AmyO
AmyO's picture

Toole wrote:

However in the meantime i am pleasantly surprised each season when seedlings sown from various sources ,flower for the first time  --here's one i found today --nice purplish edging to the petal.

Oh yes, that is a keeper for sure! I hope mine turn out as nice.

Amy Olmsted
Hubbardton, VT, Zone 4

Pages