Trillium 2011

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Guest

Luckily we have no ants on our property Rick.

A few more...

T.cuneatum --sown July 06 -- unfortunately the pic doesn't show how very short these plants are --(the blurred T.chloro in the background distorts the scale).

Trillium rivale close up.

Yellow T.angustipetalum is about to open with petals that seem unusually long this season ?.....

Cheers Dave

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

WimB
WimB's picture

Dave, I said it before and I'll say it again...you grow some wonderful Trilliums.

Love the yellow T. angustifolium.

Has the yellow chloro with the red throat opened already? Must be wonderful with those stunning leaves! No forms like that available over here (yet)  :(  :'(

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Toole
Toole's picture

Thanks Wim for the kind comments.
The 'lemon' T. hasn't opened fully yet ,(it's in one of the shadiest beds) .Will 'post' when it's at its best.

I only cultivate a small number of the wonderful coloured forms of T.chloro and other Western sps grown here in NZ.
The NZ Trillium Group have their annual weekend in 4 weeks time - hopefully I'll be able to show you some bright yellows , bronze and unusual combinations.

My focus continues to be on the later sps such as sulcatum , erectum, flexipes etc as i consider there is great potential there, (and these sps, in my garden ,do not appear to be affected by fungus that attacks the westerners ).

Cheers Dave.  

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

WimB
WimB's picture

Toole wrote:

The 'lemon' T. hasn't opened fully yet ,(it's in one of the shadiest beds) .Will 'post' when it's at its best.

...hopefully I'll be able to show you some bright yellows , bronze and unusual combinations.

I'm looking forward to it  :) :)

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

RickR
Title: Moderator

I was introduced to T. rivale just this past spring.  In fact, not even knowing there was such a species, I initially thought it was a typo for "nivale" and said to myself "I don't think so...".  The speckling is really attractive!

Toole wrote:

Luckily we have no ants on our property Rick.

Cheers Dave

Gasp.  I didn't think that was possible anywhere in the world!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

IMYoung
Title: Member

Super Trilliums, t00lie, looking very good.

Rick: Oddly enough, in concert with our chum in New Zealand, we have no ants in our garden here in North East Scotland either.
Not that that helps with the Trillium seed, since wasps love to steal it.  :-[

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

IMYoung wrote:

Rick: Oddly enough, in concert with our chum in New Zealand, we have no ants in our garden here in North East Scotland either.
Not that that helps with the Trillium seed, since wasps love to steal it.  :-[

First of all, let me say again how much I'm enjoying the Trillium photos, particularly the T. chloro. hybrids.

Secondly: NO ANTS!!!!!  We have a few billion-million-gazillion here, many types.  I had planned a whole series of topics here on NARGS, one being " Garden Adversity", showcasing key factors, and ants is most definitely one of the primary challenges.  But, with my crazy ridiculous time-sucking job I never got most of these past just "an idea".  I don't want to derail this excellent Trillium topic, so I will indeed start my "Garden Adversity" thread, and will rant over there ;D.  Now, back to trillium!

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Toole
Toole's picture

IMYoung wrote:

Thanks Maggi,(i presume  :) )---They have looked better--a number of plants have foliage damage .I'm hoping the later ones just coming into growth are an improvement.

Rick ,here's another T.rivale ,raised from seed sent to me a few years ago from a generous forumist in Ireland.

Another T.rivale full of promise--deep pink in the bud.

The leaf pattern of T.luteum is reason alone to cultivate it.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

Toole
Toole's picture

Hope you all don't mind but here's a few more for Mark ..... ;D showing some more colour variations ...

A bright yellow.

Pale lemon, maroon throat and veining.

Off white, strong coloured throat fading well up the petals.

Pink base,yellow mid region topped off with white. ----Close up.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

deesen
deesen's picture

Ah!, the touch of a master ;D

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b