South African Bulbs 2014

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Great to see these, guys! I don't fret at all about the ornamental plants I could grow outdoors if I were a  couple of zones warmer, but if i were warm enough for SA etc plants outside, that would be worthwhile ;)

Those Moraeas are zowie, Michael!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Fermi
Fermi's picture
Title: Member

Another Oxalis flowering now is reputedly difficult to get to bloom, but it seems to enjoy our climate - a bit too much actuallysurpriseas it spreads rapidly underground and really needs to be contained. Ideally it should be grown as a single pot specimen so you can appreciate its palm-like foliage, 

cheers

fermi

Oxalis palmifrons in flower
Oxalis palmifrons unfurling foliage and flower-buds

Fermi de Sousa,
Central Victoria, Australia
Min: -7C, Max: +40C

Fermi
Fermi's picture

The first flower on Moraea polystachya - one of the most prolific and long flowering irids!

cheers

fermi

Moraea polstachya
Moraea polstachya

Fermi de Sousa,

Fermi
Fermi's picture

For the first time I've found some variation amongst the Moraea polystachya seeding themselves around the garden!

This white one opened for the first time on the weekend

Moraea polystachya alba Moraea polystachya alba

and this morning (in the rain) I had a look at a couple of its neighbors - a smaller plant also has white buds and another has a pale exterior to 2 of the 3 falls. In all the years (admitted less than a dozen) of growing these from seed these are the first variations and (so far) only in one small cluster of plants

cheers
fermi

Fermi de Sousa,

Fermi
Fermi's picture

Flowering in our rock garden is the beautiful blue-green Lachenalia viridiflora,

Lachenalia viridiflora

cheers

fermi

Fermi de Sousa,

Fermi
Fermi's picture

The diminutive Lapeirousia montana grown from seed and appearing in a mauve form - 2 years ago a white form with mauve markings flowered but there was no obvious top growth last year and I thought it had died out without setting seed,

Lapeirousia montana

cheers

fermi

Fermi de Sousa,

Cockcroft

I love the pastel color, Fermi.  Thanks for sharing.

Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Fermi
Fermi's picture

Thanks, Claire, the second plant flowered with very pale, almost white flowers with mauve markings.

Flowering over the last 2 weeks has been another South African irid, Hesperantha humilis, grown from AGS Seedex

Hesperantha humilis Hesperantha humilis

Sadly one of the plants in the first pot appears to be virused as the center is paler and there are stripes in the petals (it's not seedling variation as the two plants are divisions from one cormfrown)

cheers

fermi

Fermi de Sousa,

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Sorry for the virused Hesperantha. What do you do with such plants, discard them?

You really have some nice bulbs!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Fermi
Fermi's picture

Trond,

it may not be a virus which kills the plant but it could infect other plantssad.

I hope to get some seed from it then I'll have to separate it from its companion which is not infected (at this stage!) so it may survive another year till I know which is which! it maybe able to be grown somewhere where it won't harm other plants

cheers

fermi

Fermi de Sousa,

Pages