Seed starting chronicles 2012

197 posts / 0 new
Last post
cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Toole wrote:

Full of promise ,not far from their first flowering ---- Seed sown June 2009 and potted on once, they don't appear to have suffered from not being separated into individual pots.

That being said i think I'll be potting on/ planting out a few Hepaticas soon as well. :)

Cheers Dave.

Looking good, Dave! I have some smaller than that (first year) and some maybe about the same size/age.. I sowed them in an old hanging basket planter (not hung though!) expecting to leave them several years till ready to go in the ground.. they are looking good- finally like real, though small, plants, this year.. Maybe I will plant them out this summer/fall, not sure yet... I rarely do anything with seedlings between sowing and planting out...

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Member

Thanks Cohan

I also sowed a number of wonderful different coloured japanese 'Heps' a year later in 2010 --a check yesterday and i think a small number of them are budding up .....Fingers crossed.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Toole wrote:

Full of promise ,not far from their first flowering ---- Seed sown June 2009 and potted on once, they don't appear to have suffered from not being separated into individual pots.

That being said i think I'll be potting on/ planting out a few Hepaticas soon as well. :)

Cheers Dave.

Nice Dave! But don't you think they need to be separated soon?

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Toole
Toole's picture

Yip Trond --i'll let them flower first --see if there is any variation within a pot --repot any 'nice ones' and plant out a small number if i can find some room  ;D and probably give away the rest.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Understandable with liverworts ;) When I grow rhododendrons from seed I have to give away a lot of thembefore I have seen the flowers :-\ Have to judge on foliage!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Toole
Toole's picture

Toole wrote:

Full of promise ,not far from their first flowering ---- Seed sown June 2009 and potted on once, they don't appear to have suffered from not being separated into individual pots

Cheers Dave.

Here's a shot of one of the pots taken today.

Cheers Dave. 

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

Hoy
Hoy's picture

A nice bunch and very reminding of spring!

It is two flowers that I associate with spring. The first I usually found in spring as a child was hestehov (coltsfoot Tussilago farfara) and the second which heralded the real spring was blåveis (liverwort Hepatica nobilis). I had some favorite places I visited regularly :)

Trond

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Toole wrote:

Toole wrote:

Full of promise ,not far from their first flowering ---- Seed sown June 2009 and potted on once, they don't appear to have suffered from not being separated into individual pots

Cheers Dave.

Here's a shot of one of the pots taken today.

Cheers Dave. 

Great colours!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Tim Ingram

Having chipped a lot of legume seed earlier in the spring I decided I should get on and sow it. Summer temperatures are perfect, around 25-30°C and the seed germinated in a couple of days. So far so good. And then an influx of slugs out of nowhere discovered them, causing much cursing and a quick transfer to the greenhouse and scattering of slug pellets. Fortunately some are growing away OK and more have germinated, so at least most pots will produce a modicum of seedlings. Next year I will take more care.

The first photo shows Sophora arizonica with probably half of the seedlings chomped below the cotyledons. The second group were less effected: Lupinus excubitis, Sophora stenophylla and Robinia neomexicana. The third shows Oxytropis prenja, Ebenus pisidica and Hedysarum pestalozzae. Many of these are not likely to be too easy to grow even without slugs around but they are such fascinating plants, and like the final picture of Lupinus chamissonis often have very beautiful foliage even in the absence of any flowers.

Dr. Timothy John Ingram
Faversham, Kent, UK
I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Tim wrote:

Having chipped a lot of legume seed earlier in the spring I decided I should get on and sow it. Summer temperatures are perfect, around 25-30°C and the seed germinated in a couple of days. So far so good. And then an influx of slugs out of nowhere discovered them, causing much cursing . . . .

I know that feeling perfectly well! Unfortunately I have no slugfree place at all except inside the house :-\

Trond

Pages