Seed starting chronicles 2012

197 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

McDonough wrote:

My flat of Anemonopsis, which germinated this spring, is showing some first true leaves, so far on at least 6 seedlings (can you find all 6?).  So, it seems I don't need to wait until the second year to see true leaves.

Mark, I have 3 different batches of Anemonopsis seed germinating now and they all show true leaves now.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Germination over the last couple of weeks of some seeds sown around the beginning of May (I think- some of the tags were made earlier and then I didn't get the sowing done, didn't change them all!) and put out in the last patch of snow which soon became a bin of cold water! but still many cool days and near/frosty nights-- Some Violas (have to go out with a notepad to get the names...lol)- several Hieracium (I doubt they really needed the cool period, though the references I found were mixed, so I figured what the heck!) villosum, intybaceum and most recently aurantiacum (hope none of these will be weeds!) and the similar Hypochoeris maculatum; Prenanthes (purpurea, I think-have to look at the tag or find the packet..lol), And some things sown end of May and set outside for (occasionally!) warm days, though nights are still (always!) cool--Sempervivum arachnoideum, Polemonium boreale, probably some other things I'm forgetting now-- I have pics of most, but they don't look like much yet!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

externmed
Title: Guest

Have seen suggestions for germination of Paeonia and Roses on paper towels the latter initially cold and the former initially warm, on wet paper towels.  Some rose people suggested using a solution of 1.5% hydrogen peroxide.

Anyone "stratify" on paper towels?

Charles Swanson MA USA

NE Massachusetts (New England) USA  zone 6 (5B to 6B)

gardens visited, photographs:  www.flickr.com/photos/wildmeadow

Gene Mirro

RickR, your Alyssum stribrnyi seedlings look exactly like Romneya coulteri.

SW Washington state, 600 ft. altitude

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

externmed wrote:

Have seen suggestions for germination of Paeonia and Roses on paper towels the latter initially cold and the former initially warm, on wet paper towels.  Some rose people suggested using a solution of 1.5% hydrogen peroxide.

Anyone "stratify" on paper towels?

Charles Swanson MA USA

I used to use Deno's method a lot - moistened paper towel inside of baggie - but have just gone to direct sowing in pots in the last few years.  It certainly saves space (Deno's method, that is).  It can be a little tricky to detach roots from the paper towel, so I'd just tear away as much as possible and plant it with the seedling.  I was not using it for peonies and roses though.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

RickR

Gene wrote:

RickR, your Alyssum stribrnyi seedlings look exactly like Romneya coulteri.

Thanks, Gene.  Years ago, I had a plant of Alyssum stribrnyi and I didn't remember any jaggedy leaves like that either. I'll bet you are right. ;D

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Brandhorst

I just found a nice thick cluster of Hepatica transsilvanica seedlings under the mother plant. Any suggestions on whether to divide them this year or wait till next spring. They are growing in a very tight group, on top of each other in some circumstances. Only a few have their true leaves yet.

Mark  zone 5, Western Maine

Mark McD

Mark wrote:

I just found a nice thick cluster of Hepatica transsilvanica seedlings under the mother plant. Any suggestions on whether to divide them this year or wait till next spring. They are growing in a very tight group, on top of each other in some circumstances. Only a few have their true leaves yet.

Mark, I would be tempted to wait for a not-too-hot day, then transplant them soon, separate out the seedlings into smaller clumps of 2-3 seedling each, then mulch and keep them well watered.  I don't have direct experience with Hepatica seedlings, but with other spring ephemerals, I separate and move the seedlings in early to mid summer, with good results.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Brandhorst

Thanks Mark. I'll give it a try.

Mark  zone 5, Western Maine

Toole
Toole's picture

Full of promise ,not far from their first flowering ---- Seed sown June 2009 and potted on once, they don't appear to have suffered from not being separated into individual pots.

That being said i think I'll be potting on/ planting out a few Hepaticas soon as well. :)

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Pages