Seed starting chronicles 2012

197 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

. . . .and I'm still higly impressed by your jet-propulsed seedlings ;)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Hoy wrote:

cohan wrote:

I avoid that problem by basically not putting anything outside at any time of year that can't take freezing...lol

Well, then you get the water problem. Who will water all your pets when you are not there?

First of all, it's not a problem, since I can't afford to not be here  ;D Secondly, most of my plants are xerophytic and can take some dry spells, and most of those I have that need frequent water are South African bulbs, and dormant in summer..

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

RickR
Title: Moderator

I did some seedling transplanting today.

One year old Penstemon canescens:

Another example of the advantage of holding over pots for multiple years:
Penstemon euglaucus, last year's seedlings with a new crop of seeds sprouting from last year's sowing.  (I think most penstemon cotyledons are narrow, but this species is different.)

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Fermi
Fermi's picture

I sowed these seeds a few weeks ago and they're already up
Zephyranthes primulina x Z 'Grandjax' cross-pollinated on Feb 2 and seed sown on March 4!

Can't wait to see what they produce [or if the cross "took"!]
cheers
fermi

Fermi de Sousa,
Central Victoria, Australia
Min: -7C, Max: +40C

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Fermi wrote:

I sowed these seeds a few weeks ago and they're already up
Zephyranthes primulina x Z 'Grandjax' cross-pollinated on Feb 2 and seed sown on March 4!
[attachthumb=1]

Can't wait to see what they produce [or if the cross "took"!]
cheers
fermi

That was very quick, only 4 weeks to ripen! Hereonly weeds ripen that fast. . . . . ;)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.

RickR wrote:

Penstemon euglaucus, last year's seedlings with a new crop of seeds sprouting from last year's sowing.  (I think most penstemon cotyledons are narrow, but this species is different.)

Looking back through my photos, the ones I've grown have shown some variability in that regard.  P. albidus, virgatus ssp. asa-gray, and pumilus have the narrowest cotyledons among the ones I have seedling photos of, while P. euglaucus, attenuatus, brandegei, grandiflorus have rounded cotyledons.  P. venustus is sort of intermediate.  With such a large genus (about 270 species), I suppose there's bound to be variation!   :)

Day 2 of hardening-off for 9 trays (~400 pots) of seedlings:

I used to put the trays out in the shade for 5 days for hardening-off, but we are instead using shade cloth on the plant stand this year.  The shade cloth excludes 60% of the light, and seems to be doing its job.  The stand can be rolled into the garage if frost is forecast.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Mark McD

Lori, you are one dedicated seedster!  Ingenious method of hardening your seedlings off for transition outdoors, and the whole affair portable too, impressive.  :)

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lori S.

It is Stuart, not me, who has the skills and ingenuity for the outdoor plant stand, and so many other things!

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Tim Ingram

I like that reference to Gerald Durrell - I was hooked on his books too (I have 12 in addition to 'My Family and Other Animals'!). Not so easy to write about plants like this. I am keen to try more legumes in the garden (and to grow for the nursery) so have just spent several days chipping seed of oxytropis, astragalus, dalea, sophora and lupins. Some seed (especially the first three) are minute so this magnifying light that my wife uses for embroidery has come in really useful. Now I need to germinate and grow them on...

Dr. Timothy John Ingram
Faversham, Kent, UK
I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Tim, I use sandpaper with different grit size when I "chip" peas. I have one lying at the table and one mounted on a piece of wood. Then it is very easy to chip all at once and I always get very good germination.
However, I'm not sure whether they are easier to grow on . . . .  ;)

Trond

Pages