Last post
Barstow
Barstow's picture
Title: Member

McDonough wrote:

Hoy wrote:

Here are some pf the seedlings ;)

Ribes magellanicum

Trond, good to see a photo of this Ribes, it looks most appealing, I like the hanging racemes of red flowers.  I had a couple of seedlings of this, only about 1" tall as of last year... too early to know whether it survived a second winter.

Looks like there's been an influx of Ribes magellanicum seed - I had germinated seed in 2009, but it didn't make it to 2010 (very hard winter). I expect you'll have more success, Trond - I'll be looking for cuttings in a few years :)

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

Barstow
Barstow's picture

Here's a picture of part of this seedaholic's set up. I germinate most perennials outside in a cold frame - I'm not in a hurry, so they just germinate naturally when they're ready. I keep the seed trays for 2 or even 3 years in the case of woody plants. You will notice that I have sowed several species in each container - I make sure that I only mix seed that I can easily tell apart at the seedling stage...

About 10 have germinated so far...

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Just checked, my Ribes magellanicum overwintered and enters its 2nd year of life.  It is about 9-10 cm tall.

Stephen, your overhead view of seed pots loots like a crazy quilt ;D

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Stephenb wrote:

Looks like there's been an influx of Ribes magellanicum seed - I had germinated seed in 2009, but it didn't make it to 2010 (very hard winter). I expect you'll have more success, Trond - I'll be looking for cuttings in a few years :)

I'll keep it in mind, Stephen, but my mind isn't what I would like it to be so you better do remind me later ;D

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.

Luetkea pectinata - surprisingly easy from seed.

http://www.wildgingerfarm.com/Luetkeapectinata-PartridgeFoot.htm

Scrophularia crithmifolia (Why, yeth, I do thspeak with a lisp.)  I'm not sure why I'm growing this - it looks stunningly underwhelming...
http://www.euskal-herria.org/node/21594  

Pyrethrum tatsiense

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Toole
Toole's picture

I keep on coming back to this thread to see what some of you are germinating  :P --then searching the web or looking up the links to plants i am unfamiliar with.Wonderful........So much promise.

Here's my contribution ---A couple of pics of some of the results of the last 2/3 months, repotted last weekend into 1 litre pots.

Some of the North American contents are--

Viola pedata.
Lesquerella artica.
Asarum caudatum and A. hartwegii.

Others---
Various Cyclamen including C. graecum --C mirable x tilebarn--C.cilicium alba.
A number of Crocus --C mathewii --C longiflorus --C. niveus--C. goulimyi.
Tigridia chiapensis
Hepaticas
and others.
Oops nearly forgot --also an onion for Mark  :) Allium wallichii.

Cheers Dave

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Barstow
Barstow's picture

Hoy wrote:

I'll keep it in mind, Stephen, but my mind isn't what I would like it to be so you better do remind me later ;D

What was it I was supposed to remind you?

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Did I say anything? Can't remember I did :o

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

RickR

With a three inch snowfall ten days ago that melted in three days, and yesterday's two inches that has melted today, I have a bunch of 40F germinators that have come up.  Sow dates accompany, and it's clear that keeping pots for more than just one season pays off.

Fritillaria biflora - 2 Oct 2009
Fritillaria bucharica - 5 Oct 2010
Fritillaria carica - 2 Oct 2009, several. one seed germinated in 2010
Fritillaria collina - 5 Oct 2010
Fritillaria crassifolia ssp. kurdica - 2 Oct 2009, several. two germinated in 2010
Fritillaria pallidiflora - 5 Oct 2010
Fritillaria pyrenaica - 2 Oct 2009
Fritillaria sewerzowii - 5 Oct 2010
Fritillaria whittalii - 2 Oct 2009
Lewisia cotyledon - 2 Oct 2009
Penstemon whippleanus - 25 March 2010
Tulipa urmiensis - 1 March 2010

I have been candling my Fritillaria seed, as I do with Lilium seed. While the fritillaria embryos that I see are unmistakable, it is clear from my trials that these were not the only fertile seed: I still plant what may be chaff, and many have sprouted in batches where I had seen only one or two embryos. So candling for fertile fritillaria seed is not effective. 

But then, if I had just asked, someone probably could have told me that...

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Mark McD

Rick, that's a lot of Frits!  You'll have to show us again in 4-5 years when they bloom ;D

Dave, thanks for thinking of me and my alliums.  Just so happens, that I'm getting excellent germination from a whole bunch of Alliums collected in Kazakhstan; here are a few of them.  The species names and collection info is written on the seed pots.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Pages