Primula 2012

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Primula 2012

Last summer I found some very small specimens of Primula elatior growing at the verge of the main road in mid Norway. I rescued two plants and they flower in my lawn now.

AmyO
AmyO's picture

YAY Trond! I've been checking mine and they are coming up great this year. I really like the P. elatior ssp. meyeri, such nice colors. I'll be posting lots of pics here soon....no flowers yet.

Amy Olmsted
Hubbardton, VT, Zone 4

Hoy
Hoy's picture

The auricles are in flower now:

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Michael J Campbell
Michael J Campbell's picture
Title: Guest

Primula waltonii
Primula watsonii ?

Michael J Campbell in Shannon, County Clare, Ireland

http://www.facebook.com/michael.j.campbell.395

Lewisias, alpines ,South African bulbs
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/michaelJcampbell63

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

You grow some true beauties there Michael.  In addition to the last two delights you show us, the slate-blue auricula is fetching, the color of some globularias, for which I have a totally soft spot for.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Howey

Michael and Trond - those primulas are really exquisite - makes me resolve to order more seeds this year and to step up their protection - chicken wire, that is.  Fran

Frances Howey
London, Ontario, Canada
Zone 5b

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Thanks Fran.
I'm going to collect some seeds if anybody is interested  ;)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Here's another Primula - from CC seed last year. I have several plants and almost all of them have buds now. This is the first to open its flowers. The plants look similar to P capitata.

Trond

cohan
cohan's picture

A couple of questions:
I have some seedlings of P bulleyana and P florindae coming along very nicely, and am thinking about the garden placement; I've been reading about their likes, and think I have a grasp on it, but just trying to balance the sun/moisture/cool issue; I currently have one P auricula in the ground, and have found it wilting in mid-day on several days that have been over 25C, even though the soil is always moist; that bed I think of as partly shaded, but realise it actually gets direct sun at mid-day..
So, I'm wondering what if any, conclusions I should be drawing from that and extrapolating to the other P's I mention- the area I was planning for them would have a similar moisture level, and maybe similar sun- mid-day but not late day; I could probably find some deeper shade if that seems better, or I might be able to arrange it so that they have the local shade of one of the rock garden ridges they will be near (I think that would not really shade the plant in mid-day, but help keep the soil cool?
Any thoughts?

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Cohan, I am not accustomed to grow plants above 20C  ;) but if the soil is moist I thinkthe plants will survive although the roots cannot provide water as fast as the plants transpire. I've seen it though on warm days at home but the plants revive in the cool evenings.

However, many Primulas are adapted to drier conditions like P auricula and lutea.

Trond

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

If you have enough seedlings, you could experiment.  I'd tend to put both in mostly shade, however I don't have any garden areas that stay moist so my choices are limited.  I've never had P. bulleyana winter over (strangely enough - have tried them often enough from the nurseries) but grew P. florindae for a long time - it's very fragrant, a bonus.  The latter was in mostly shade, though it didn't get any extra moisture where it was.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Pages