Primula in 2011

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Thanks Jane. I know what to do when I retire ;D

Nice to see your primulas, Wim! I suppose mine have started flowering at home but it isn't much here in the mountains.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture

primrose season is finally starting here.  Primula denticulata, P. elatior and Primula 'Windrush'

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Todd, do you have a primula bed or do you grow them all suitable places in the garden?

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture

Trond, I grow them all over the place...I have more woodland types than alpine.  They are just starting to show themselves.

Todd Boland
Zone 5b

RickR
Title: Moderator

I was at the Minnesota Arboretum rock garden yesterday.  Their Primula denticulata was a bit past its prime, but still looking very nice.

A nice surprise for me and Primula algida:  grown from seed planted in late April last year, I never got to transplanting any of the seedlings.  Braving neglect and punishment, they are still in the tiny (less than) 3 inch diameter cup.  A tenacious and determined lot!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

RickR

This one was given to me as Primula juliana 'Jewel'.  I'm sure it is rather old cultivar, so I suspect many of you are familiar with it.  Is the ID correct?

Boland
Boland's picture

Rick, we have a similar old primula at the BG...ours goes by the name 'Dorothy'..I expect it has P. elatior genes

Todd Boland
Zone 5b

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

RickR wrote:

This one was given to me as Primula juliana 'Jewel'.  I'm sure it is rather old cultivar, so I suspect many of you are familiar with it.  Is the ID correct?

Don't think it is 'Jewel' Rick, if it was it would have crimson-purple flowers. Jewel is a very old variety, from around 1925, attributed to a german nurseryman, George Arends, asa cross between Primula juliae (seed parent) and P. vulgaris.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

RickR

Thanks David, and Todd. 

Something told me the name was suspect.

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest

RickR wrote:

It reminds me a bit of Primula 'Lady Greer'. But I'm no Primrose expert...you could ask Giles Reed on the SRGC forum.

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Pages