Penstemon ID 2013

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

deesen wrote:

Probably not the correct place to say this but I had my profile set to receive email notification of all posts but am currently not receiving any for NARGS posts at all and don't remember amending my profile. Any advice welcome.

I'm not sure David, maybe because of the recent hosting move of the NARGS Forum to a different server (to resolve the traffic problem on a shared server), some settings went astray?  Try toggling the notification settings... turn them off, then turn them back on again.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

Thanks mark, I'll give that a try later and report back accordingly.

By the way you get an honourable mention in the June edition of the RHS magazine "The Garden". I quote from an article titled All-summer Alliums and a paragraph in particular on A. cernum:-  "..........This and other species have been used by 'the onion man' Mark McDonough of Massachusetts, USA to create a range of fine plants, yet to become well known in the UK."

"

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

McDonough wrote:

David, I'm sorry to say, your penstemon is not P. virens; most likely what you have is Penstemon davidsonii (and probably var. menziesii), or a hybrid of that species.  Penstemon virens has true blue flowers in an upright spike, with flowers arranged in whorls in a series of closely spaced verticillasters (think Phlomis-arrangement).  But P. davidsonii and its var. menziesii are excellent "pents" for the rock garden.

I have no great experience of Penstemon so would welcome some advice please. My P. davidsonii is just about over and as it is quite straggly I wondered if I should give it a haircut?

By the way still not getting email notifications regardless of how I play around with my profile settings?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Pages