Miscellaneous Woodlanders

372 posts / 0 new
Last post
WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

Some other shade-plants...more for the leaves than for the flowers and very prone to slug-damage:

Mini-hosta's:

'Cat's Eye'
'Dew Drop'
'Pandora's Box'
'Sunlight Child'
venusta 'Minuet

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

And some more flowering shade-lovers which I almost forgot:

Meconopsis quintuplinervia x betonicifolia (a perennial form)
Paris bashanensis
Primula japonica 'Miller's Crimson'
Ramberlea
Ramonda myconi 'Alba'
and Ramonda myconi

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Barstow
Barstow's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-08-27

Todd wrote:

Pulmonaria montana blooming at the moment, along with Helleborus orientalis and first Corydalis solida.

Your lungwort looks like what I have under the name P. rubra, an occasional garden escape around here - it's also in flower here:

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N
Age: Lower end of the 20-25,000 day range

RickR
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-09-21

Todd wrote:

Rick, for some reason my B. ciliata never sets seed  ???   I've had many requests over the years.

Er...um... not that I don't like your Bergenia, Todd, but I was hinting to Trond about seed from for his blue Corydalis.  ;D 
----------------------------
The corms of Aconitum incisifidum are evident in this photo:

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03

Wim, I must be mistaken-- I thought I remembered you said you had a small garden? But the plants keep coming.......
nice blue cory for sure :)

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

cohan wrote:

Wim, I must be mistaken-- I thought I remembered you said you had a small garden? But the plants keep coming.......
nice blue cory for sure :)

Small garden, packed with plants  ;) ;)

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Tim Ingram
Title: Member
Joined: 2011-04-27

Just to go back to Ypsilandra from earlier in this thread - they propagate well from leaf cuttings, either cut into short sections or simply looped into the compost, they will root at both ends. This is a great way of propagating quite a range of plants (also good for Eucomis), and always quite a surprise when you prick out the small plantlets. Having said that I struggle with it here through our dry summers but it can make a superb specimen in a pot.

Dr. Timothy John Ingram
Faversham, Kent, UK
I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.
 

IMYoung
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-31

Tim wrote:

Just to go back to Ypsilandra from earlier in this thread - they propagate well from leaf cuttings, either cut into short sections or simply looped into the compost, they will root at both ends. This is a great way of propagating quite a range of plants (also good for Eucomis), and always quite a surprise when you prick out the small plantlets. Having said that I struggle with it here through our dry summers but it can make a superb specimen in a pot.

I did not know that Ypsilandra would come from leaf cuttings.... will be trying it soon, though.... thanks Tim!

MY

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

RickR wrote:

Trond, Corydalis turczaninovii is tuberous, I think.  Could that be it?

Very nice, indeed.  Wouldn't mind any seed of that, if it makes any...

OK, I'll be at the lookout! The oldest flowers fade now and I can discern small seedpods. Hope they last!
I think I have planted turczaninovii from Janis once, so maybe . . . .

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

IMYoung wrote:

Tim wrote:

Just to go back to Ypsilandra from earlier in this thread - they propagate well from leaf cuttings, either cut into short sections or simply looped into the compost, they will root at both ends. This is a great way of propagating quite a range of plants (also good for Eucomis), and always quite a surprise when you prick out the small plantlets. Having said that I struggle with it here through our dry summers but it can make a superb specimen in a pot.

I did not know that Ypsilandra would come from leaf cuttings.... will be trying it soon, though.... thanks Tim!

MY

Neither did I. I will try if my plant survive. It is suffering badly from the harsh winter.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Pages

Log in or register to post comments