Liliums 2013

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Each and every one is so beautiful, wish I could grow Lilium, but lily beetle is such a problem here, that I'm not willing to do battle with them.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

RickR

Some older named martagons and  hybrids:

Lilium martagon 'Amelita' and Lilium martagon 'Claude Shride'

Hybrids with Lilium tsingtauenseLilium 'Super Tsing' and Lilium 'Brotsing'.

Hybrids with Lilium hansonii:  Lilium 'Terrace City' and Lilium 'Mrs. R.O. Backhouse'

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

RickR

Yes, I am fortunate that there are no Lily beetles here.... yet.

I had a little bit of a scare a few weeks ago when I saw these suspicious eggs on

a martagon lily bud:

I cut the bud off and hatched the eggs in a closed jar.  They turned out to be a kind of Assasin bug., so l put them back in the garden. 

It's nice to know that I have yet another predator species thriving in my yard.

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Rick, the lily beetles place their eggs on the underside of the leaves - near the tip. After hatching the caterpillars cover themselves in their own feces. It's a mess! I removed several imagoes and hundred of eggs and larvae from my few lilies at our summerhouse two weeks ago but I can't follow up! I fear the lilies will be destroyed this summer.

Your lilies are beautiful. I have never seen such martagon lilies here.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Longma
Longma's picture
Title: Guest

Wonderful Lilium flowers Trond and Rick. Looking so vigourous and healthy.

Lovely hybrids Rick. Do you grow any of your own , from your own crosses?

53.69° N, Dedicated to West Coast Fritillaria, plus three other members of the subgenus Liliorhiza. I grow other Genera, as time permits !

Gene Mirro

Longma wrote:

Can anyone confirm the identity of this species please? It's growing in California. 

It looks like humboldtii to me.  You usually find humboldtii on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada mts., SE of Sacramento.

SW Washington state, 600 ft. altitude

RickR

Longma wrote:

Rick. Do you grow any of your own , from your own crosses?

Yes.  I'll show some primary species crosses here, and give links for some more complex crosses that I post elsewhere.

Longma
Longma's picture

Thanks for the identification Gene. I suspected it may be L. humboldtii but my knowledge of this Genus is too poor for me to be positive.

53.69° N, Dedicated to West Coast Fritillaria, plus three other members of the subgenus Liliorhiza. I grow other Genera, as time permits !

Longma
Longma's picture

Very much looking forward to seeing the fruits of your efforts Rick. 

Longma
Longma's picture

Lilium tsingtauense

I'd love to have many more of these through the garden, but can never manage to get it to set seed. Any tips anyone ?

Pages