Iris 2011

122 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Wonderful Iris everyone, too many to comment on here in my "hit and run" quickie posts during the work week.  Here is Iris x 'Sindpers' which flowered well this year, it skipped blooming for the past two years!  I love the pure sky blue color, and nearly stemless growth.  It has been grown outdoors in the garden for nearly 10 years.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

LucS
LucS's picture
Title: Guest

McDonough wrote:

Wonderful Iris everyone, too many to comment on here in my "hit and run" quickie posts during the work week.  Here is Iris x 'Sindpers' which flowered well this year, it skipped blooming for the past two years!  I love the pure sky blue color, and nearly stemless growth.  It has been grown outdoors in the garden for nearly 10 years.

An old but always attractive hybrid.

Torhout-Flanders-Belgium-zone 8a

LucS
LucS's picture

An onco-iris in one of its colourforms not shown before: Iris sari

Torhout-Flanders-Belgium-zone 8a

WimB
WimB's picture

A very beautiful form of Iris sari, Luc.

Some Irisses in flower here now:

Iris schachtii

and some small bearded Irisses:

'Forever Blue'
'Open Sky'
and a cultivar of which I forgot the name.

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

McDonough wrote:

It seemingly liked your warm and dry spring/summer last year!

I have almost given up growing these showy Irises. Have a few other types though :(

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Kelaidis
Kelaidis's picture

Just browsed and saw lots of great irises: I was struck by the I. schachtii in Wim's post: many of our bearded dwarfs are blooming too, and this is one I used to grow in that honey gold form and miss! I was also surprised by the albino I. flavissima (or humilis or whatever)... I admire how you all can grow junos and Oncocylus in pots: we grow them all in the ground since if we tried growing them in pots I am sure we would kill them. And our climate approximates their conditions and they seem to like it here: the following are a few of the later junos that are still blooming (we have had a fabulously cool spring so plants last forever, although with just traces of rain every week, we could use a good soak from Mother Nature)...

I believe the last one (labeled Iris sp.) is I. narbutii...any opinions?

Iris graeberiana
Iris henryi
Iris vicaria
Iris warleyensis
Iris
x Warlsind
Iris orchioides
Iris bucharica
Iris willmottiana

For every minion of the peaks there are a dozen steppe children growing in the dry Continental heart of all hemispheres still unknown to horticulture.

Boland
Boland's picture

Spectacular Junos PK!  I cannot even get I. bucharica to survive more than 2 years  :'(

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

cohan
cohan's picture

Wow! So many beauties! Luc, the oncos are incredible!
Panayoti--great species! orchioides and the last sp are really amazing! I'll need to come back to this thread next time I am looking at a seedlist!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

WimB
WimB's picture

Some Irisses flowering here now:

Iris cristata var. alba (not very easy to find this species her in Belgium)
and Iris inominata

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

I'm late to respond here, but respond I must, some really good stuff here!!!

@PK - The Iris bucharica in Colorado are out of control, certainly an insidious weed that needs government intervention! ;D  Never have I seen such clumps.  Have you tried Round-Up on them ;D  The junos certainly seem to like the Colorado climate.  Exceptional!

@Wim - one of my great desires is to successfully grow I. innominata and other Western USA coastal mountain Iris.  The brown veining in your form is most fetching.  Glad you managed to acquire Iris cristata alba, a very good white; was at Garden Vision Epimedium nursery today, and feisty pots of I. cristata alba are just a mere $6, a flat of petunias might cost more!

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Pages