Iris 2011

122 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Iris koreana was looking particularly great today, growing exponentially since moving it from another spot which was too dry.  There is a form of this species being sold by Garden Vision Epimedium that is supposed to be much better flowering, although in my case, simply moving it from one spot to another turned a virtually non-flowering Iris into a yearly flowering spectacle.  Folks, find those microclimates, move your plants around if they're not succeeding.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

RickR

That is awesome, Mark!  And again, you are so far ahead in the season.  I don't even have Iris pumila blooming yet!  Although, I. suaveolens began a couple days ago, and an unknown twice blooming one just today.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest

Mark, your clump of I koreana is wonderful!  If I get some seed from I inominata would you like some to try?

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mark McD

Rick:  funny that your season is so far behind yet our I. suaveolens is blooming at the same time!

Wim (and others): I will try to collect seed on I. koreana... it has to be picked at just the right point, and watched to be protected from squirrels & chipmunks (and other vermin?) that like eating the pods.  It sounds like a seed swap is in order ;).  The trick this year, now that I'm back to my long work days and long commute-from-Hades, is catching the seed at just the right moment.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

deesen
deesen's picture

Iris sintenisii, grown from seed.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

deesen
deesen's picture

Iris sintenisii, the whole group.

Iris spuria ssp maritima grown from seed sown February 2008 and flowering for the first time.

iris latifolia

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

WimB
WimB's picture

Some TB Irisses in flower now:

'Exotic Isle'
'Loop the Loop'
'Mary Frances'
'Roman Rythm'
and two of which I don't know the name

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

deesen
deesen's picture

Grown from seed sown in February 2007 and flowering for the first time-Iris spuria ssp musulmanica

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

RickR

They say Iris tectorum does not have a lot of variability compared to most species, so I was interested to see what was special about the type from Sun Moon Lake area.  I obtained seed from the Species Iris Group of North America (SIGNA) seed exchange, and I am very pleased with the results.

Gadzooks!  Look at those crests!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Lori S.

Those are impressive!  Great close-up! 

Iris taurica:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Pages