International Rock Gardener e-magazine

200 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMYoung
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-31

The November Issue of IRG is online now  http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2011Nov241322170676IRG_23_-_November2...

We return to the ever popular subject of Turkey and her plants .... this country is, of course, species rich and the appetite to learn more of the plants who inhabit that large and diverse region seems undimmed.

For the bulb lovers, J. Ian Young encourages an interest in the dwarf narcissus of the "hoop petticoat" type, so invaluable for flowering through the northern hemisphere winter as well as into spring. 

Putoria calabrica in cultivation.... photo by ZZ (Zdeněk Zvolánek) 

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Another superb issue, all of the Turkish plants shown are mouth watering gems, I like Aethionema subulatum the best, what a stunning cretaure it is. :)

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

IMYoung
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-31

Thanks, Mark. The diversity of the Turkish flora will never lose it's attractions, I think.

Yes, that Aethiomema is a cutie.... I see the Ontario NARGS chapter has a note about it's germination..... to sow the seed at  4 degrees .....  http://www.onrockgarden.com/germination-guide/aethionema-subulatum-subulata

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

IMYoung wrote:

Thanks, Mark. The diversity of the Turkish flora will never lose it's attractions, I think.

Yes, that Aethiomema is a cutie.... I see the Ontario NARGS chapter has a note about it's germination..... to sow the seed at  4 degrees .....  http://www.onrockgarden.com/germination-guide/aethionema-subulatum-subulata

Such a specific temperature sowing requirement, no wonder it's rare in cultivation ;D  Good to know it's being grown, must keep an eye out for seed.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

IMYoung
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-31

Vladislav Piatek sells seed.. and perhaps some of the other Czechs....
Not sure if Wrightman Alpines stocks the plant...... :-\

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Lori S.
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-10-27

Can't wait to delve into this issue!

In case others are wondering, the oh-so-specific temperature for starting the seed comes, I'd be willing to bet, from Dr. Deno's publications of his germination work... In his very regulated studies, a "cold" period for seed conditioning was standardized at 40 deg F... hence the 4 deg C quoted on the ORGS website.  (A "warm" period was standardized at 70 deg F or 20 deg C.)  In order to hold to scientific method and get real comparative data on germination rates, he had to do this, but the home gardener need not be so exacting.  ;)

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03

My understanding of this 4C temperature is that typical stratification requirements are for a period of cold but not freezing temperatures? Not counting those that need freeze/thaw to break tough seed coats or inhibitors...

Stunning issues as always-- I was behind by a few and had a pleasant evening a few weeks back catching up :)

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

IMYoung
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-31

Certainly the strangely fluctuating temperatures we are having  here  in the UK at the moment must be confusing the living daylights out of the seeds... plenty plants seem mixed up and as for the gardeners... well!  :P

Good to hear we are producing happy reading for you, Cohan.  :)

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

RickR
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-09-21

cohan wrote:

My understanding of this 4C temperature is that typical stratification requirements are for a period of cold but not freezing temperatures? Not counting those that need freeze/thaw to break tough seed coats or inhibitors...

See here, Cohan:
http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=274.msg12949#msg12949

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03

RickR wrote:

cohan wrote:

My understanding of this 4C temperature is that typical stratification requirements are for a period of cold but not freezing temperatures? Not counting those that need freeze/thaw to break tough seed coats or inhibitors...

See here, Cohan:
http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=274.msg12949#msg12949

Thanks, Rick, that's exactly what I have read elsewhere..  Note- winter here is certainly mostly below freezing for months here, but there are months in fall and spring with temps at night and/or ground level with temps not getting far above freezing.. I haven't yet done much experimenting with local species, but I think, like most places, various species have various strategies...

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Pages

Log in or register to post comments