Epimedium 2013

196 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Impressive flowers on that E. x omeiense 'Pale Fire Siblings', I see that I need all the forms of E. x omeiense (acuminatum x fangii), been enjoying 'Akane' which I added to my garden last year.

I believe the name of Epimedium 'Yokihi' is misspelled "Yohiki" in the Garden Vision catalog, but is spelled correctly on the Garden Vision web site:  http://www.epimediums.com/other-e-hybrids/

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

gerrit
gerrit's picture
Title: Guest

Another one from the intriging x omeiense family. Epimedium x omeiense 'Myriad Years'. Photo 1.

Photo 2,3,4, Epimedium brevicornu var. rotundifolia. Hundreds of diving gulls are flying around.

Mark McD

Mmmm, Myriad Year's is wonderful, I keep adding to my list!

I love E. brevicornu, but I've been trying to chase down the name "var. rotundifolia". I don't see that such a name was ever published, although the one synonym that E. brevicornu has, is E. rotundatum (1934).  That synonym is confirmed in Stearn's The Genus Epimedium, the online Flora of China, The Plant List, and others.  In this species the leaves are described as "acute or rounded", but somehow the name morphed into "var. rotundifolia" or "forma rotundatum" for those plants having more rounded leaves, but it's not a recognized name even though seen in nurseries as such. But don't let that put anyone off, it's a delightful species with clouds of white and yellow flowers.
"http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200008368
http://www.johnjearrard.co.uk/plants/epimedium/epimediumbrevicornurotund...

Mark McDonough
antennaria at aol.com

gerrit
gerrit's picture

The last of my 4 members of the x omeiense family. With the striking colours of Epimedium x omeiense 'Akane'.

Mark McD

That's what I like, a complete set of something ;)

Gerrit, you did much better that I did photographing 'Akane', I've tried three times now, and each time the photos are blurry.  It's a wonderful color, nothing else quite like it, your plants show well raised up a bit, to see the bright flowers.  I'm going to move my small plant so that it can be seen and photographed better.

Mark McDonough
antennaria at aol.com

gerrit
gerrit's picture

Actually this was my second attempt, from a dozen pictures this one was okay,

Longma
Longma's picture

You are showing us some superb Epimedium Gerrit,  :o

After seeing some straggly, weedy looking examples at various sales and shows we'd all but given up on this Genus, although the flowers have always attracted us.
After seeing all the lovely posts on this thread by a number of forumists, we think its about time we give them a go,  ;D. Hope we can achieve similar results.
Are there any 'trade secrets' to achieving such good results??

53.69° N, Dedicated to West Coast Fritillaria, plus three other members of the subgenus Liliorhiza. I grow other Genera, as time permits !

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Longma wrote:

You are showing us some superb Epimedium Gerrit,  :o

You have firstly to get hold of them! That's my biggest problem although I don't suspect I'll ever grow anything competing with Mark's or Gerrit's plants!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

RickR

gerrit wrote:

Actually this was my second attempt, from a dozen pictures this one was okay,

And I have been doing this more and more, too, especially when laying on my stomach isn't an option in the middle of the garden!  I hold my camera near the ground and point at the subject and take a bunch of pics.

One (or more) of them is bound to look good. ;D

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

gerrit
gerrit's picture

Longma wrote:

You are showing us some superb Epimedium Gerrit,  :o

After seeing some straggly, weedy looking examples at various sales and shows we'd all but given up on this Genus, although the flowers have always attracted us.
After seeing all the lovely posts on this thread by a number of forumists, we think its about time we give them a go,  ;D. Hope we can achieve similar results.

I remember the first time, I was in a nursery in order to buy some Epimediums. How I was disappointed by the sight of those poor 'weedy looking' plants. Nevertheless some specimens went over into my garden. From the moment they 'tasted' the new and fertile soil, they started to grow with new leaflets.
And now I am dedicated to this genus.

Another beautiful species is Epimedium wushanense. In this case it is cultivar with no name. Darell Probst gave it a temperarely working-name 'nova'. And as far I know, he's got no properly name. And I am not sad about that.

Epimedium wushanense nova.

Pages