Epimedium 2012

188 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

WimB wrote:

McDonough wrote:

Hmmm, looks like a typical lavender-ish sempervirens bloom, I find that sempervirens can have more incurved or downturned spurs as compared to grandiflorum, but just a generalization.  Was it worth the wait?  ;)

Not very special, isn't it?? I'll keep it, but if I had a smaller garden, it's not one I would grow!

I had grown it anyway ;D

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

ErnieC123
Title: Guest

Hello to everybody!!!
Because of getting a higher heartbeat watching some of your awesome Epimedium, I joined NARGS. I am also extremely interessted in Epimedium and i have a little collection of them. But it´s hard to find some special ones in germany. Maybe somebody has good ideas for getting more of this exciting plants. I would enjoy that. I am sorry for my english and hope it will be better in the future :-)

RickR
Title: Moderator

Hello Ernie!
A faster heartbeat is a common occurence here.  :D

I can't answer your question, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum.  It's great to see international participation!

Your English is perfect.  I am always in awe at how well non-native speakers as yourself use the language.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Mark McD

Glad you made it over here Ernie, welcome to the forum.  In addition to your interest in Epimedium, I hope that you'll start a topic on Hosta and show us some of your hybrids :)

After a false start here this year, with two weeks of unbelievable summer-in-winter temperatures that pushed some epimediums prematurely into growth, some of them got "whacked" by deep freezing that followed.  They will recover, just some buds and foliage lost, but they'll leaf out again.  After the heat, we returned to more normal cool weather, with nightly cold temperatures or freezing, keeping growth in check.

Today I was home after my car broke down and put into the shop for repair, but it was sunny and warmed up to 50 F (10 c) for a wonderful spring day.  The epimediums are erupting into growth, with buds just ready to expand.

One of the first to bloom is always E. x versicolor 'Versicolor', still too early to enjoy full bloom, but the expanding flowers buzzed by nectar seeking bees, with various colors of Corydalis solida growing intertwined with the epimedium shoots, made for an enjoyable garden contemplation.

Many are not photogenic at this point (because they're hard to photograph), from the dry winter remains of epimedium clumps emerge dozens of hairy croziers of flower stems.  Even the shiny-leaved species tend to be very hairy when first emerging.  Shown here is a hybrid between E. grandiflorum f. flavescens 'La Rocaille' and E. grandiforum 'Larchmont'.

Case in point, the shiny leaved E. sempervirens species, when first emerging, shows hairy shoots.  In this photo is E. sempervirens 'White Purity' shows expanding initially hairy foliage and expanding buds.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hoy
Hoy's picture

ErnieC123 wrote:

Hello to everybody!!!
Because of getting a higher heartbeat watching some of your awesome Epimedium, I joined NARGS. I am also extremely interessted in Epimedium and i have a little collection of them. But it´s hard to find some special ones in germany. Maybe somebody has good ideas for getting more of this exciting plants. I would enjoy that. I am sorry for my english and hope it will be better in the future :-)

Hello Ernie! As Germany is a member of EU it shouldn't be too difficult or complicated for you to find some nurseries! It is worse for me in Norway needing plant health certificate for everything :-\

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Mark, you know how to turn the knife in the wound! ..Just kidding but I am jealous. One day I hope to get at least some more Epps in my garden!

Trond

gerrit
gerrit's picture

Hello Ernie

Well, there is a wonderful thread on Epimedium here on the NARGS-forum. But I have to say to you, there is another forum with Epimedium-fanatics, the VRV-forum, people from Flanders and The Netherlands.
I would say to you: Join the VRV-forum and write in German, we'll answer in Dutch and share your knowledge with us. http://www.vrvforum.be/forum/index.php?topic=610.0

Mark, it's unusual to have Epimediums blooming so early in Mass. Here in Holland, I have the first flowers showing on my E. x versicolor 'Versicolor' indeed. But the emerging Epimediums everywhere in the garden, it is maybe the most exiting part of the fun, growing Epimediums.

ErnieC123

Thanks you all for wellcome me !
Of course in germany there is no certification horror here. But in germany the special nursery for epimedium is rare in germany. I know some of those nursery, but the rare epimedium (like some asiatic nature plants), i will not get here. I am newly in contact to Het Houten and Van Poucke nurseries, so i will get some nice one, when the time is right. Het Houten sends also in april but van Poucke doesn´t. So i maybe have to wait till autumn.
An other problem is that some of the Epimedium i bought , where wrong :-(  S*** happens :-) ).
I am really excited from those Epimedium pics  Geo F-W has sent in here! All sorts i never heard before! Where is this nursery of paradis? Can somebody help???
I am also excited about the foliage of all pics of you all. They seem to be so vital and without foliage dots (How do you call : fungal problem???). Do you use chemical helpers???
Yesterday i got new E.epsteinii (my old one died in the garden) and an asiatic hybrid. I like to see the asiatic in flower!
I will start to take some Fotos when the time is right !

ErnieC123

McDonough wrote:

Glad you made it over here Ernie, welcome to the forum.  In addition to your interest in Epimedium, I hope that you'll start a topic on Hosta and show us some of your hybrids :)

Pardon? What Hosta hybrids? I have only some Hosta to fill my garden :-)

Mark McD

ErnieC123 wrote:

McDonough wrote:

Pardon? What Hosta hybrids? I have only some Hosta to fill my garden :-)

Sorry Ernie, I confused your email with someone else's email that also contacted me about the forum and Epimediums.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Pages