Epimedium 2011

158 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

gerrit wrote:

Epimedium setosum.

Very small flowers, in front of a 'huge' Helleborus.

Gerrit.

Very small flowers as you say, but overall a most elegant and charming little species.  Funny that you mentioned E. setosum; when I was checking my seed flats for any sign of Epimedium germination, it was E. setosum and E. brevicornu that have germinated first (representing both manual crosses and open pollinated seed).  We're getting several very warm sunny days in a row which is activating strong epimedium growth; I noticed lots of buds on E. epsteinii curled up near the base.  Glad I cut back all my eppies this past fall, I don't like doing it in the spring because invariably I end up breaking some of the new shoots and flower stems.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

gerrit
gerrit's picture
Title: Guest

Here some new E., blooming.

Epimedium x youngianum 'Kozakura'
Epimedium 'Togen'
Epimedium acuminatum 'Night Mistress'
Epimedium davidii
Epimedium dolichostemon
Epimedium grandiflorum
'White Queen'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lilafee'

RickR

Wonderful epimediums, Gerrit.  The color on the acuminatum Night Mistress is superb!

With your E. davidii, is that normal for your plant to have such short spurs?

This is the Epimedium davidii I grow:
(photo from a previous year)

P.S. I added the species names in your photos to the post text so they can be found using the search function of the web site.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

gerrit
gerrit's picture

Yes Rick, I see what you mean. I searched my pictures from last year and they look the same, so obviously we have different clones.

I see, I have to add names. Thank for doing it.

WimB
WimB's picture

Gerrit,

I've never seen a E. davidii with such short spurs either. It's nice.

Here are some plants from my garden: flowers and young leaves:

Epimedium 'Domino'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Freya'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Spring Wedding'
Epimedium 'Amanagowa'
Epimedium 'Kaguya Hime'
Epimedium 'Pink Champagne'
Epimedium 'Akebono'
Epimedium x sasakii
Epimedium x youngianum 'Merlin'

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

WimB
WimB's picture

Some leaf variation:

Epimedium grandiflorum 'Freya'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lilafee'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Spring Wedding'
Epimedium 'Pink Champagne'
Epimedium 'Spine Tingler'
Epimedium x versicolor 'Cherry Tart'
Epimedium x youngianum 'Azusa'
Epimedium x youngianum 'Freckles'

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

WimB
WimB's picture

And an Epi I received as an alternate form of E. x sasakii which it clearly is not!  ???  ???

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mark McD

Hello Epimedium fans, much to respond to here, many tempting beauties!  Will chime in later on tonight, but with this quick hit-and-run post, here are a couple photos of Epimedium seed germination.  After heavy rains again last night, almost all flats are showing strong germination, and Jeffersonia seed is just starting too.

Left:   E. grandiflorum 'Red Queen' OP seedlings (open pollinated, although I made a few "assists" ;D)
Right:  E. setosum OP on left half, E. sempervirens 'Aurora' OP seedlings on the right half.

While the seedling density may appear moderate, the shredded bark mulch cover is literally lifting up, there are hundreds more seedlings on their way up :D

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB
WimB's picture

McDonough wrote:

While the seedling density may appear moderate, the shredded bark mulch cover is literally lifting up, there are hundreds more seedlings on their way up :D

That's fun to see, I'm glad you got such a good germination for your seeds....It's nice to see the start of Mark's Epi's nursery... ;) ;)
I got some Jeffersonia dubia seeds of a very good dark form last year and they have all germinated too. I didn't expect them to be that easy to germinate.

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

gerrit
gerrit's picture

Blooming here, while we have a summer in April with temps up to 25 deg C. Another 4 days to go with such abnormal weather.

Epimedium grandiflorum 'Queen Esta'. A beautiful species with very dark emerging leaflets and purple flowers.

Pages