Epimedium 2010

124 posts / 0 new
Last post
WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest

Hello everyone,

my first post and it's a question to start with.

Maybe I should introduce myself first.
In short ;)  I'm Wim Boens, I live in Belgium (a small country between the Netherlands, Germany and France) and I'm an archaeologist.
I've been gardening since I was 9 years old and in the last five years I became more interested in woodlanders and bulbs.

Today I received a form of Epimedium grandiflorum called E. grfl. f. flavescens #1. The person who gave it to me said she bought it some years ago from Heronswood.
I was wondering if anyone here might know if this plant has been given a cultivar name and what makes this clone (number 1) so special?

Thanks

Wim

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

WimB wrote:

Hello everyone,
In short ;)  I'm Wim Boens, I live in Belgium (a small country between the Netherlands, Germany and France) and I'm an archaeologist.
I've been gardening since I was 9 years old and in the last five years I became more interested in woodlanders and bulbs.

Today I received a form of Epimedium grandiflorum called E. grfl. f. flavescens #1. The person who gave it to me said she bought it some years ago from Heronswood.
I was wondering if anyone here might know if this plant has been given a cultivar name and what makes this clone (number 1) so special?

Wim

Hello Wim, we meet again ;)  Welcome to the NARGS Forum!

I suspect your E. grandiflorum f. flavescens #1 is a Darrel Probst designation.  In the Garden Vision Epimediums catalog he writes "We grow many distinct forms of f. flavescens, (probably differing from one another due to their origins in segregated wild populations). We give each "type" a number (unless we have location information), but not a cultivar name as there are probably thousands of similar clones in the original wild populations".  The Garden Vision Epimediums catalog has sold E. grandiflorum f. flavescens numbered forms 1 - 6 for a number of years, although form #1 was last offered in 2005 (maybe 2006, but I can't verify as I've seem to have lost my 2006 catalog).

E. grandiflorum f. flavescens #1 is described as: Side leaflets of this clone have at least one of the basal lobes squared with an extended point.  When well grown there can be as many as 3 points on some, producing several different types of medium-sized leaflets on the same plant. Handsomely bronzed in spring.  Large, pale yellow flowers bloom below the leaves. !2".

I have all 6 forms, as well as a few other named forms, but can't find a photo of #1 tonight.  I will try to find the plant this spring and post some photos.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest

McDonough wrote:

WimB wrote:

Hello everyone,

Wim

Hello Wim, we meet again ;)  Welcome to the NARGS Forum!

I suspect your E. grandiflorum f. flavescens #1 is a Darrel Probst designation.  In the Garden Vision Epimediums catalog he writes "We grow many distinct forms of f. flavescens, (probably differing from one another due to their origins in segregated wild populations). We give each "type" a number (unless we have location information), but not a cultivar name as there are probably thousands of similar clones in the original wild populations".  The Garden Vision Epimediums catalog has sold E. grandiflorum f. flavescens numbered forms 1 - 6 for a number of years, although form #1 was last offered in 2005 (maybe 2006, but I can't verify as I've seem to have lost my 2006 catalog).

E. grandiflorum f. flavescens #1 is described as: Side leaflets of this clone have at least one of the basal lobes squared with an extended point.  When well grown there can be as many as 3 points on some, producing several different types of medium-sized leaflets on the same plant. Handsomely bronzed in spring.  Large, pale yellow flowers bloom below the leaves. !2".

I have all 6 forms, as well as a few other named forms, but can't find a photo of #1 tonight.  I will try to find the plant this spring and post some photos.

Thank you very much, Mark.

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Pages