Crocus 2012

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

More wonders :) Wim- love the yellows with dark outside, and Mark, I agree with others, those browny colours are very nice!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Lori wrote:

I love the coppery-coloured ones too.  What are the very blue ones, Mark?  I have lots of purple tones but none that are distinctly blue like that.

I did have C. chrysanthus 'Blue Pearl' in this particular bed, so the blue color is no doubt coming from that parent.  The color looks a tad more blue in the photographs, in reality they are a purplish-blue.  I do have one fine royal blue one that is heavily striped, my photo came out lousy, so I didn't show it, and it's overcast today, crocus no open ;-)  Several other crocus species are opening (well, in tight bud while waiting for some sun), such as the best of the dwarf white species in my opinion, C. malyi. 

Walking around the garden today, I'm noticing just how many Crocus chrysanthus seedlings have escaped the bounds of the "shrub ring" and are now popping up all over the place in the lawn, then found a couple small seedling C. chrysanthus flowering in my woodland garden about 30 meters away, not sure how they got there, probably from chipmunks who bury collected seed in small caches.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

First sun in a couple weeks!
The Crocus vernus and other opened their flowers after a long waiting time.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Mark McD

Very nice and floriferous, looks like a welcome sunny slope for a picnic and flower gazing.

Mark McDonough
antennaria at aol.com

Mark McD

A glorious summer-like sunny day today, 72 F (22 C), and the bulbs are jumping out of the ground and Crocus spread wide open to great the sun; so a few more photos.

Left:  C. angustifolius (yellow), C. kosaninii (tight clump of blue purple in the center), C. biflorus var. isauricus (light blue, and going over).
Center:  closer view of the same crocus.
Right:  Close view of C. kosaninii; most of the buds weren't even showing the previous day!

Left:  more Crocus chrysanthus hybrids, wide open.
Right: a nice buff yellow color form of C. chrysanthus

Left:  Crocus malyi
Center: view showing C. malyi (foreground), angustifolius (left center), etruscus 'Rosalind' (center), gargaricus (top)
Right:  C. etruscus 'Rosalind', with C. angustifolius in lower right.

C. sieberi 'Tricolor'

Mark McDonough
antennaria at aol.com

WimB
WimB's picture

Mark, I didn't know you were a croconut too!  ;)

Still love your hybrids the most!!

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Mark, you have some nice Crocuses yourself! Your climate is better than mine for many different Crocus species. They dislice the humid climate here.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Tim Ingram

Trond - if you can give them good light and really good drainage you might find they would succeed. Our biggest problem has always been rabbits, but now we have the garden well fenced and a patrolling Jack Russell dog, so I have high hopes of developing plantings like Mark's. They are truly the most beautiful and simple of bulbs.

Dr. Timothy John Ingram
Faversham, Kent, UK
I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.

Toole
Toole's picture

Mine don't get the best of light Tim --here you can see the buds of Crocus pestalozzae raised from seed showing a bit of elongation.Hopefully I will get a shot or two of them open tomorrow as well as the white form with black spots.

Quite a number of other sps are showing buds --C.gargaricus ,C mayli, ,C. danfordiae ,C adanensis and C etrucus --the last 3 from seed so that's always exciting ,....... 

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Toole
Toole's picture

Enough sunshine this afternoon to open C.pestalozzae .

Followed by a couple of shots of C.adanensis --first flowering of seed ,ex Germany, sown June 2007.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Pages