Crocus 2011

146 posts / 0 new
Last post
Boland
Boland's picture
Title: Member

Crocus etruscus just needs one more sunny day.  First C. chrysanthus opened..."Fuscotinctus' and 'Dorothy'

Suppose to be around the freezing point the next 2 days but the next week is suppose to be around 5-6 C every day.  I expect (hope) there will be plenty of crocus open by the time I get back from the UK on the 18th.

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

RickR
Title: Moderator

So these are where you shoveled the snow away, Todd?

Very nice, by the way. 

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Well, Todd, are you ahead of us? Have May already arrived? Nice to see your crocuses too ;)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture

No Rick, these are blooming in the first flower bed that naturally melted.  Snow has a funny pattern in my garden.  My back gathers snow like no ones business but I have one area that only got about 2 feet of snow...that bed, along with the shovelled one, are now free.  There are a few tommies in the shovelled bed but most of my bulbs are in the back end of the garden.  As the snow melts, the crocus are literally in bloom within a couple of hours!  Quite amazing to watch!  Remember, I have no frost in the ground like you do, so plants are already growing when the snow leaves them.  Once our snow finally melts, I will be caught up to usual (from a Newfoundland standard).  Unfortunately, my drift in the back reached over 5 feet.  It is down now to 2.5 feet.  Too slow for my liking.  No melting for the next two days.  In fact, it is suppose to drop to -8 C this evening.  On the plus side, all of next week is suppose to be mild so hopefully this next 2 days will mark the end of our winter season.

Todd Boland
Zone 5b

Mark McD

Todd, I need to add some of those deep color "tommies" to my Crocus repertoire, a most compelling color statement for the spring garden! I hope by now your getting some warmer spring weather and more crocus are putting on a show.  Mine are getting ready to finish up, but after working all week and not seeing my crocus babies, today it is sunny and a warm 63 F (17 C), and a few crocus clumps look nice, I have to share some photos.

Left:  from a few bulbs in 2002, a clump of Crocus kosaninii is picture-perfect today; hardly a finer spring crocus species.
Center:  Crocus imperati suaveolens; a very slow grower, also planted 8-9 years ago , it is slowly increasing.
Right two photos:  Crocus malyi 'Sveti Roc', a dwarf cultivar with full rounded flowers, a wonderful cultivar and reliable grower.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Boland
Boland's picture

Beauties Mark.....it was only 2 C today and only suppose to be 3 C tomorrow...crocus are in suspended animation!  With low to mid 40's F next week, I may arrive home from the UYK with many more crocus open...who knows, maybe my Eranthis and Galanthus will even be exposed.

Todd Boland
Zone 5b

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Seems that Crocuses like your climate, Mark!

Here the Crocus season is soon history but today we had the warmest day so far this spring 18C/64F! ..and the last Crocuses suddenly opened up fully.

Mostly vernus and tomasininus hybrids.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Mark McD

Hoy wrote:

Seems that Crocuses like your climate, Mark!

Here the Crocus season is soon history but today we had the warmest day so far this spring 18C/64F! ..and the last Crocuses suddenly opened up fully.

[attachthumb=1]

Mostly vernus and tomasininus hybrids.

Thems a lot of Croci Trond, most colorful and exuberant!  I have managed to contain crocus within my garden bed areas, but now some of the chrsyanthus types are seeding into lawn areas; maybe I should encourage their spread, like some of the fantastic bulb lawns seen on the SRGC Forum.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hoy
Hoy's picture

I let them self sow, Mark, and get a lot of new color combinations. Seems that vernus and tomasinianus easily cross and make viable fertile offsprings too. The flowers are very variable, both in color and size - from 5 to 15cm across!

PS. Congratulation with your new job Mark!

Trond

Boland
Boland's picture

Lots of crocus open here now.  My kosaninii have flowered for the first time....only 3 blooms but I'm delighted.

Todd Boland
Zone 5b

Pages