Chris Chadwell - Little Tibet Expedition 2011

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
McGregorUS
McGregorUS's picture
Title: Guest

One point about Primula reidii is that it usually grows where no water can fall directly on to it - mouths of caves, overhanging cliffs and so on. So a shade house would be the perfect situation for it. Good luck - very intriguing to find out if it turns out to have lilac or white flowers. Have fun.

Malcolm McGregor
Global Moderator/NARGS Editor
East Yorkshire, UK

Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Guest

Looks to have been some wonderful stuff collected and i like the idea of being able to view the scenery and plants --seem to be a well organised venture.

I can only echo what has been said about the beauty of Primula reidii. :-* :-*

Here's a pic (9Oct 2010), of my plant --actually i had two plants and managed to germinate 6 seedlings from them --alas my inattention during a prolonged warm ,dry period resulted in the loss of both adult plants and youngsters . :'(

Cheers Dave.  

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Saori
Saori's picture
Title: Member

McGregor wrote:

One point about Primula reidii is that it usually grows where no water can fall directly on to it - mouths of caves, overhanging cliffs and so on. So a shade house would be the perfect situation for it. Good luck - very intriguing to find out if it turns out to have lilac or white flowers. Have fun.

Thanks for the tip, Malcolm! It seems like it would definitely be a pot plant here... We have lots of rain in the winter... So is it wise to put the pot in a shallow dish filled with water as opposed to watering it from above when it gets dry?

Dave, your P. reidii are very beautiful! Thanks for the pictures! I hope that I can see the flowers in person in the future...

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry but winter is dark and very wet... USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

P. reidii is amazing!  I thought it was a rhododendron until I enlarged the photo!

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Tim Ingram

The best part is the amazing scent! If only that could waft from the photo. This has definitely made me want to grow this plant again...(and there are just so many beautiful primulas, but alas not really for our garden).

Dr. Timothy John Ingram
Faversham, Kent, UK
I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.

Boland
Boland's picture

Darn...I wish i could have gotten in on these seeds...those are types I could probably grow here.  Wet and Himalayan generally works well here.

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Mattus

My seed from the Chadwell expeditions is germinating. Here are a couple The Lindelofia stylosa, sown in the greenhouse for a few weeks, then set outdoors for the rest of our mild winter - noticed it sprouting today outside, and the Ligularia amplexicaulis remained in the greenhouse -  not shown, all of the Arisaema are germinating, as well as the Impatiens, both in the greenhouse.

Matt Mattus
USDA Zone 5B
Worcester, MA

Pages