Arisaema 2012

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zonedenial
Zonedenial's picture
Title: Guest

Yup, and pretty easy ones; ternatipartitum in particular rapidly clumps up.

Don Bolin  Zone 5a in eastern Iowa, USA (corn country).

Afloden

A new one ;D Literally.

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Afloden wrote:

A new one ;D Literally.

And that is new to science or to you? Very pretty!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Afloden

New to science apparently. It is in the Asperatum group, but it seems to lack the long flagelliforme apex. This is clavate almost and does not protrude from the spathe. It is also disjunct from the majority of that groups distribution. I cannot give out country information yet.

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Cool looking Arisaema Aaron, a distinctive flower shape.

Speaking of distinctively shaped Arisaema plants, here's one that appeared in my garden, I had just assumed it was a small grouping of A. triphyllum seedlings that pop up all over the place.    It has three narrowish leaflets that stand straight up, and an open upright flower, tall and slender growing overall.  What could it be?  In the scene, Trillium grandiflorum and the low T. foetidissimum are blooming, leaves of regular A. triphyllum are there too. In the photo on the right is a view showing Trillium foetidissimum and the stem bases of the mystery Arisaema on the left and a regular A. triphyllum on the right.

Mystery Arisaema, self sown seedlings:

On the left, closeup of the mystery Arisaema, on the right-hand photo, the folded-lid flower of regular A. triphyllum on the left, and the open spathe of the mystery one on the right.

From Darrell Probst, this is A. kishidae, diaphanous nearly see-through flowers and nicely marked leaves.  Behind it is the emerging shoot of another Arisaema "sp." that Darrell collected in China, that might be close to  A. taiwanense or A. sukotaiense

For context, this link is to my original post on an Arisaema sp. collected by Darrell Probst in China:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=950.msg153081#msg153081

...and a response from an SRGC forumist, discussing A. taiwanense and A. sukotaiense:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=950.msg154030#msg154030
Arisaema aff. sukotaiense

Last, is a nice little grouping of A. triphyllum seedlings flowering for the first time; I like the reddish stems catching sunlight.  As cute as they are, some forms of A. triphyllum get large and will take up too much space, so I might need to move these to a different location next year.

Another one from Darrell Probst, a dwarf speckled version of A. amurense, really cute... can't remember where he said he collected this one.

Arisaema amurense "dwarf speckled":

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hoy
Hoy's picture

At last! Arisaema elephas shows signs of life. It is always late however. (I believe it is elephas but am not sure.)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Here are the flowers. I have 3 different plants and although the leaves are very similar the inflorescences are not. The second one flowers a week before the others too.

Edit: I got a name for the middle one on SRGC site: Arisaema wilsonii!

Trond

bulborum
bulborum's picture

The second doesn't look as Arisaema elephas

Roland

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518187888211511
Normal Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C      10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means: Roland and Gemma de Boer

Hoy
Hoy's picture

bulborum wrote:

The second doesn't look as Arisaema elephas

Roland

You are right, Roland! It is probably A wilsonii. However, the leaves are remarkably similar!

Trond

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

All I got these days... Arisaema triphyllum:

I've never noticed seeds forming, but I guess they must have, as I noticed a plant in a new spot this evening.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Pages