Alpines October 2012

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

I've never seen mature seed capsules on this species but assume they're not very different from the ones of other Crassulaceae ;) It's a nice plant by all means, hope you get seed!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Little bits of fall colour in the rock garden...

Eriogonum caespitosum, bought from Beaver Creek last year:

This year's seedling of Dryas drummondii:

Aethionema saxatilis ssp. oreophila, showing what is likely to be one of the last flowers in the rock garden:

Androsace chamaejasme:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Tim Ingram

This is a tremendous form of Geranium xlindavicum, called 'Gypsy', bred by that great partnership Eric Smith and Jim Archibald at The Plantsman Nursery. It is a cross between 'Lissadell', a paler form of x lindavicum, and the vivid cinereum ssp. subcaulescens. Unfortunately it is slow and tricky to propagate, but I have thoughts of chopping the plant off at ground level and hoping it will produce multiple new crowns that can be separated. First I must get a second plant growing well as insurance!

Dr. Timothy John Ingram
Faversham, Kent, UK
I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

Rick- I don't know how long it will take to ripen, but know Orostachys in general are very late.. seed capsules I'd expect not to look like much..

Lori- nice fall colour- the Dryas is looking big for one year!

Time- looks like a really nice colour and markings on the Geranium..

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Lori S.

Interesting geranium, Tim... what very finely dissected leaves.

I hadn't even heard of the hybrid name before.  I found one site that says G. x lindavicum is a cross between G. cinereum (as you mentioned) and G. argenteum... is that your understanding?

Lori

Tim Ingram

Lori - sorry I'm afraid the photo tricks the viewer, the leaves are actually from a euphorbia seeding in the bed. But yes the hybrid name x lindavicum is cinereum x argenteum. I've had the latter once or twice but never managed to keep it going - in fact I haven't been hugely successful with many of these small geraniums. 'Gypsy' is growing in a pure sand trough, but very slowly! Just out of interest here are the leaves of G. lasiopus (which must be close to cinereum and argenteum). I bought this from Blackthorn Nursry last year but it hardly seems to have grown at all.

Dr. Timothy John Ingram
Faversham, Kent, UK
I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.

externmed

Exceptionally beautiful flower on that Geranium x lindavicum.  Hope someone will take notice and try to breed for ease of culture.

Charles Massachusetts USA

NE Massachusetts (New England) USA  zone 6 (5B to 6B)

gardens visited, photographs:  www.flickr.com/photos/wildmeadow

Toole
Toole's picture

A couple of entries from our recent Alpine Garden Club show.

Best exhibit--Androsace sarmentosa

and another one,winner in it's class-- Androsace vandellii.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Lori S.

Tim wrote:

Lori - sorry I'm afraid the photo tricks the viewer, the leaves are actually from a euphorbia seeding in the bed.

Oops, I should have realized the leaves were not a geranium at all...  :-[
Geranium lasiopus has beautiful foliage.
Wonderful photos from the alpine show... I have to admit that I still find the concept of growing plants permanently(?) in pots sort of odd, but I'm warming up to it...  ;)

Lori

cohan
cohan's picture

Great Andros, Dave!
I could see growing in pots if winter deep freeze weren't an issue-I have to sink all the pots here- always seem to have leftover seedlings etc!
all safely sunk some time ago..  15C now, but next six days all forecast to be -1 to -3C daytime!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Pages