Allium 2012

94 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Just a quick summary for those who might not follow the link, and for added emphasis, Allium loratum, a dwaf high alpine species (10,000-14,000') with white flowers from Tibet and western Himalaya, is NOT in cultivation, although misnamed plants going around under this name are widespread and entrenched in Horticulture for a century.  The plants sold as Allium loratum by the big bulb producers in the Netherlands and specialty bulb growers look like various Melanocrommyum species, much taller and with pink, lavender, to purple flowers.  Oftentimes plants labeled as A. loratum are in fact pinkish-lavender Allium decipiens, a most variable species.  Believers of the horticultural loratum as the true loratum will point to expert bulb growers and well-known and respected bulb producers; but it doesn't matter, the plant in horticulture does not come close to matching the original description.  The leaves of Allium decipiens can be described as "lorate", e.g. having the form of a parallel-edged strap; ligulate, no doubt to some degree responsible for the confusion.

It took nearly a century to correct another misnomer, that of Allium "aflatunense" of horticulture was proven to not be that species, and ultimately the name of A. x hollandicum (and the well known A. x hollandicum 'Purple Sensation') was published to be applied to the plants so well established in horticulture, to make way for the true A. aflatunense.  We still await the true A. loratum to be collected and introduced.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Palustris
Palustris's picture
Title: Guest

Cheers. Will just have to see what it is,if and when it flowers. Will give the original supplier earache then.  :)

bulborum
bulborum's picture

I got this as Allium serra
but I don't believe this is correct

Roland

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518187888211511
Normal Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C      10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means: Roland and Gemma de Boer

Mark McD

Roland, this is a nice dwarf reddish form of European to Central Asian Allium paniculatum; I've grown a number of such forms and they're all very good, easy and floriferous. This reddish flowered form goes around misidentified under many different Allium species names. 

I grew Allium serra for about 6-7 years, but like many of the Western American species I've grown here, it dwindled and finally expired several years ago.  Here's what it looks like:

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?where-genre=Plant&where-taxon=Allium+serra

Mark McDonough
antennaria at aol.com

bulborum
bulborum's picture

Ahhh

I thought a few years ago already that it looked as Allium paniculatum
but I know this one just as tall plants over 60cm
Thanks for naming it
I think I label it as Allium paniculatum Dwarf Red

Roland

Palustris
Palustris's picture

This one is for Mark, Many moons ago I got some seed from the NARGS seed exchange. The one which really got me excited was a packet of Allium seeds from the said person. Well they flowered and as promised they were different.
This is one of the nicest colours.
Sadly they do not come true from seed, usually reverting to the original colour of the type and even worse, they are martyrs to rust. I have been trying for the last few years to regrow the different ones without the rust.

Barstow
Barstow's picture
Title: Member

bulborum wrote:

Mark

Do you know people with nice Allium cernuum selections
I have later in the year seeds from white and soft pink ones
I collected three different colours at Head smashed in buffalo jump (Canada)

Roland

Here's a bouquet of most of my cernuums, different colours are now popping up here and there... :)  .....and, yes, Mark, they are nice enough to eat and were nibbled on for several days in their vase!

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

bulborum
bulborum's picture

Indians eat them as leeks or chives
maybe you have a few seeds from the different colours
I can send you some seeds from Head smashed in buffalo jump
the seeds from the white form from Head smashed in buffalo jump
no seeds because of the rain

Roland

Barstow
Barstow's picture
Title: Member

Yes, I'll try to save some seed of the different types for you! Would love to have plants that come from Head smashed in buffalo jump :)

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

Mark McD

I'm so late getting back to these pages, my schedule has been too hectice for weeks.

Palustris, so nice to see the nice color forms of Allium flavum var. tauricum getting around, so fun to get such colors, a very good orange one you have.

Stephen, love the cernuum bouquet.  Most years I study the variable forms of A. cernuum and stellatum in great detail, but I'm afraid this year has been a total wash, not enough time, the weeds in the garden are out of control and depressing, we went from 6 weeks drought, now to repeated tropical downpours, particularly on weekends which is my only chance at actually working in the garden.  You need some white Allium cernuum in your palette, normally I could help, although not this year, I haven't marked anything, the weeds swamp the plants, and the monsoon hot & steamy late summer rains are turning seed pods to mush.  I hope next year is a better yeat.

Example, plants of an Allium sikkimense form I received two years ago was growing well and exceptionally well budded this year.  They recently started showing their blue color in the bud stage, I took pictures. Having lost a gargantuan sugar maple tree in a storm a couple months ago, some of my shady areas are now in full sun, and in the last two weeks with considerable heat and monsoon rains, they fried and steamed into sad drooping buds of mush.

Mark McDonough
antennaria at aol.com

Pages