Allium 2011

91 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Stephenb wrote:

In the meantime, as I was wandering around the garden, it seemed that you were with me, Mark. See the following set of images (none of the plants were in flower, so I won't bore you with pictures of greens):

Stephen, that's so funny to see those labels.  Can't say for sure if I have true A. schoenoprasum 'Corsican White' white any more, it was the smallest thready-leaved form of chives I know of, but over time, all the chive forms intergrade and I've not been successful keeping most of them separate and isolated. except for my A. schoenoprasum 'Curly Mauve'.  Can't remember what my selection 'Sweet Pepper' is like; I remember it being a seedling of 'Pink Pepper', another casualty to an overly demanding work and life schedule and parts of my garden becoming swallowed up by weeds for several years... sigh.  Now, off to work I go!

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

Barstow
Barstow's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-08-27

I liked the label "(yet) another glaucum"....

I don't have a picture of Sweet Pepper or Pink Pepper, but I have a couple of pictures (a bit overexposed) of Summer Pink (see below) taken on my last visit in 2008 (I didn't notice your name then).

How did they end up in Gøteborg in 1997?

By the way, I planted seed propagated Corsican White (AGS seed) last year in my garden and they have made it through the winter (last time I tried they died). Why Corsican?

Stephen

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N
Age: Lower end of the 20-25,000 day range

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

What do you think of these onions, Onion man - or others?

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-10-27

They look very tasty... say on a baked potato with butter and sour cream.  ;D
Nice colour variation.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Skulski wrote:

They look very tasty... say on a baked potato with butter and sour cream.  ;D
Nice colour variation.

Well, I wouldn't eat them. They grow on a road verge and the verge is sprayed with herbicide every summer >:( :o

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Good chive forms Trond.  Your top one looks like one I grow that I have nicknamed Allium schoenoprasum "silver tips" because of the way the pointy ends of the tepals fold back to catch glints of light.  I used to keep my various chive collections separate, maintaining the cultivars, but after many years, I'm afraid they have all blended into assorted array of pleasing forms.  Here are three photos showing this form.  It is also interesting, some chive forms are thrifty of foliage (such as this one) and other forms are much leafier.  I like the dark spathes on this form.

I have a number of white forms (Trond, your white one with darker veins is very nice), this one showed up a couple years ago but is overcrowding my Allium flavum tauricum plants so must move it.

From several dwarf white forms, they have interbred, and I get all sorts of pastel colors.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Stephenb wrote:

I liked the label "(yet) another glaucum"....

I don't have a picture of Sweet Pepper or Pink Pepper, but I have a couple of pictures (a bit overexposed) of Summer Pink (see below) taken on my last visit in 2008 (I didn't notice your name then).

How did they end up in Gøteborg in 1997?

By the way, I planted seed propagated Corsican White (AGS seed) last year in my garden and they have made it through the winter (last time I tried they died). Why Corsican?

Stephen

The name 'Corsican White' was based on the fact I grew a very dwarf form chives originally collected in Corsica, from seed sent to me by Richard Dadd in the UK.  I have long since lost the label and the actual collection location, but among the various lavender mauve forms, one white-flowered form arose, and this I propagated and distributed under the name A. schoenoprasum 'Corsican White'.

I used to get the yearly Index Seminum from Gøteborg years ago, and I believe I had sent them some Allium varieties as well, but frankly, I don't remember now, it's been so long.

As for Allium 'Pink Pepper', here is a photo from September 2010; I'm surprised it looked as good as it did because of our record-breaking heat and frought last summer and fall, these plants had virtually no water all summer.  The "pepper" part comes into play by virtue of the pink flowers being "peppered" with yellow stamens.  In flower, the plant is only 4-5" tall.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

McDonough wrote:

Good chive forms Trond.  Your top one looks like one I grow that I have nicknamed Allium schoenoprasum "silver tips" because of the way the pointy ends of the tepals fold back to catch glints of light.  I used to keep my various chive collections separate, maintaining the cultivars, but after many years, I'm afraid they have all blended into assorted array of pleasing forms.  Here are three photos showing this form.  It is also interesting, some chive forms are thrifty of foliage (such as this one) and other forms are much leafier.  I like the dark spathes on this form.

I have a number of white forms (Trond, your white one with darker veins is very nice), this one showed up a couple years ago but is overcrowding my Allium flavum tauricum plants so must move it.

From several dwarf white forms, they have interbred, and I get all sorts of pastel colors.

Mark, you have them all!
But I must clarify, the chives are not mine but growing wild on a road verge. However I intend to rescue some of the best forms next time I pass by ;)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

RickR
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-09-21

Pursuant to a more positive identification.  What is your best guess now, Mark...
Allium sikkimense?
                       
       

       

       

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

RickR wrote:

Pursuant to a more positive identification.  What is your best guess now, Mark...
Allium sikkimense?
                       

Sorry about late reply, but yes, looks like Allium sikkimense to me.  I find it so interesting that in some (most) forms, the buds and inflorescences are pendant to semi-pendant, but in other forms they are semi-erect to totally upright, as in your plants.  Good diagnostic images.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments