Agave palmeri

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
DesertZone
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-08-20
Agave palmeri

Anyone out there with Agave palmeri in colder climates?

Here is a big one near Old Pearce AZ

Weiser
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-04

Aaron
That is one hell of an agave! :o Is it yours?

I grow a palmeri it's no were near as large as the one in your photo. Mine is about five years old and pupping a little. I hear they can go rampant and take over or invade choice neighbors.

From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and the Eastern
Escarpment of the Sierra Nevada Range
Located in Reno/Sparks,NV  zone 6-7
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
John P Weiser

Martin Tversted
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-03-24

I have grown this one and its one of my favorites. And it doesnt survive here nt even in the unheated greenhouse. Only have moderate succes with havardiana, utahensis types, gracilipes, parryi and a few others. Maybe I should try again again again

Martin

Martin Tversted
Central Jutland, Denmark Z6

DesertZone
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-08-20

Martin wrote:

I have grown this one and its one of my favorites. And it doesnt survive here nt even in the unheated greenhouse. Only have moderate succes with havardiana, utahensis types, gracilipes, parryi and a few others. Maybe I should try again again again

Martin

Hi, what zone are you in? or area?
I would love to try one from higher elev.  I have seen them grow at about 7000ft but I can't seem to find any seed. >:(  Sounds like you are doing good with some others.  I have never had any success with havardiana so I bet if a person could find it from higher up I bet they could do well.

Dry garden, little irrigation, 9" precip

Shoshone Idaho USA. Zone 5b-6a

Hot and dry in the summer, cold and snow in the winter.

DesertZone
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-08-20

Weiser wrote:

Aaron
That is one hell of an agave! :o Is it yours?

I grow a palmeri it's no were near as large as the one in your photo. Mine is about five years old and pupping a little. I hear they can go rampant and take over or invade choice neighbors.

I wish it was mine, it was  on a couple of lots away from mine I don't seem to have any on my place...one right over the fence but... :D

You say yours is pupping?  I dont think I have ever seen them pup in the wild.  I have a small high elev. parryi that has a small pup, would you like to make a trade next spring?

Dry garden, little irrigation, 9" precip

Shoshone Idaho USA. Zone 5b-6a

Hot and dry in the summer, cold and snow in the winter.

penstemon
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-06-24

Growing it for now, if that counts.....

Bob

Bob

extreme western edge of Denver, Colorado; elevation 1705.6 meters, average annual precipitation 30cm; refuses to look at thermometer if it threatens to go below -17C

Weiser
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-04

DesertZone wrote:

[ I have a small high elev. parryi that has a small pup, would you like to make a trade next spring?

Aaron check your Email ;) The answer is Yes. ;D

Nold wrote:

Growing it for now, if that counts.....

Bob

Any thing you grow counts in my book!! 8)

From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and the Eastern
Escarpment of the Sierra Nevada Range
Located in Reno/Sparks,NV  zone 6-7
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
John P Weiser

DesertZone
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-08-20

Now here is one in a garden in Elfrida AZ that has pups, but I wonder if it is its close cousin Agave chrysantha?
I don't know that much about agave. ;)

Dry garden, little irrigation, 9" precip

Shoshone Idaho USA. Zone 5b-6a

Hot and dry in the summer, cold and snow in the winter.

penstemon
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-06-24

The palmeri I got will soon be that size, no doubt ...
I got mine free, as a trial. I think seed came from the Chiricahuas. Or some place reasonably high. We'll see.

Bob

Bob

extreme western edge of Denver, Colorado; elevation 1705.6 meters, average annual precipitation 30cm; refuses to look at thermometer if it threatens to go below -17C

DesertZone
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-08-20

Nold wrote:

The palmeri I got will soon be that size, no doubt ...
I got mine free, as a trial. I think seed came from the Chiricahuas. Or some place reasonably high. We'll see.

Bob

Good deal! That is where I seen them at higher up. ;)

Dry garden, little irrigation, 9" precip

Shoshone Idaho USA. Zone 5b-6a

Hot and dry in the summer, cold and snow in the winter.

DesertZone
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-08-20

Hey, anyone out there that wants some dasylirion w. seed I still have some from a plant close to this one. ;)

Dry garden, little irrigation, 9" precip

Shoshone Idaho USA. Zone 5b-6a

Hot and dry in the summer, cold and snow in the winter.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments