By the 1000... Hieracium spp.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
By the 1000... Hieracium spp.

Hieracium is a huge genus in Norway with many 1000 mostly apomictic species.
Here is one common representative of Hieracium alpinum (coll.)
This one grows on dry places often with lichens.

Hoy
Hoy's picture

A little different one.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture

The landscape could pass for northern Newfoundland!  Even moreso, Greenland!  I see you have lots of Arctous alpina in that area...must be fantastic when they are in their brilliant red fall colour.

We have a couple of native Hieracium but they are larger, more woodland types.  The vast majority of ours are weedy species from your parts of the world!

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Todd wrote:

The landscape could pass for northern Newfoundland!  Even moreso, Greenland!  I see you have lots of Arctous alpina in that area...must be fantastic when they are in their brilliant red fall colour.

We have a couple of native Hieracium but they are larger, more woodland types.  The vast majority of ours are weedy species from your parts of the world!

Yes, Arctous alpina (syn. Arctostaphylos a.) is very common here but you have to hit the right weeks to experience the best colors.

You are welcome to the Hieraciums! We have got our share of some of your plants!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

A third one, only 997 to go.

Trond

IMYoung

Hoy wrote:

A third one, only 997 to go.

Okay, Trond, I have two flasks of coffee and a packet of biscuits.......I'm ready for the next few hundred......

M ;)

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Hoy
Hoy's picture

You have to wait a long while, Margaret, I haven't photos of all of them! But I could use the same plant from different angles, you probably wouldn't know it, I don't. They are so similar.

Trond

IMYoung

Hoy wrote:

You have to wait a long while, Margaret, I haven't photos of all of them! But I could use the same plant from different angles, you probably wouldn't know it, I don't. They are so similar.

Okay..... you're right, I may not be any the wiser... I'd enjoy the coffee break anyhow! No better way to enjoy a browse around the forum ;D

Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Well Maggie, if I ever take pictures of all Norwegian  Hieraciums I'll give you a warning so you can brew enough coffee and bake biscuits. Don't be impatient, I have no immediate plans. (I would rather take pictures of Townsendia.)

Trond

IMYoung

I'd find it hard to make a case that the  Hieraciums are cuter than the Townsendias pictured lately (or linked ) in the Forum, Trond .... that's for sure.... but your photos were appreciated just the same! 

Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Thanks! But I also implied that it had been more exciting for me to find Townsendia (have never seen it in the wild) - that had meant that I was abroad! Hieraciums have I seen by 10000!

Trond

Pages